Cascades QC : Tackling the Obstacles – Wednite Jan 12, 2011

Patrick

Links inside this post that be found on Ski Mad World.

Most enjoyable outing of the season. Great skiing. Great race. Free Beer.

Obstacles: low snow, music and sick.

Started having a sore throat on Tuesday night so I went to bed early and also I stayed home sick on Wednesday as I was still under the weather that morning. After taking my youngest to school that morning, I returned to bed. Hoping I would be better for the race that night.

The race was GS at Cascades. A place where I love to race, however the course is more demanding that the short sprint at Fortune. It wasn’t until 4 in the afternoon that I definitely decided to go for it. A quick waxing job and fumes to sued the throat. Just what the doctor ordered. It took me 35 minutes to get at the hill and the parking lot was packed. Found out that it was a Hot 89.9 Ski night and the music was blasting here the chalet and inside at the bar. And the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council wants to censor Money for Nothing by Dire Straits because of a complaint and a F-word, not the F-word, other. They should ban the annoying music that plays Hot 89.9 instead which I find much more offensive in lyrics and taste that a song that mentioned the word f*ggot. What next, Fairytale in New York by the Pogues?

As I was taking the crossover chair toward the race trail, you could see the work and lack of snow on runs that are usually open by now. There was a stiff cold wind at the top of the hill. Snowguns blasting with secondary powder on the other side of the race trail. Conditions was great, the course was great and fast. Won my second Beer Bet. 2 runs to inspect, 3 runs in the course + 1 run between the timed run t bring the spare jacket at the finish area plus another 2-3 runs on Exhibition afterward. 2 runs back and on the main side of the ski area. Normally I wouldn’t have bother to make many runs afterward, especially when I was a feeling under the weather, but couldn’t pass it up. It helped that the hill with the course was closed off, only 50% of it was open and we had a wide open course to run. The exhibition run at Cascades is my favorite on the Masters’ circuit. Steep on top and not really flat at the bottom so you can carry your steep. Snow was much better than on the rest of the hill. Despite the lack of snow, the hill are working hard to cover the hill. I’ll hate to see their hydro bill at the end of the year. Anyway the Masters are having a better year so far that the hills, another great turnout. Some newcomers and some people we haven’t seen in a long time. Both winners belonged to that category. The Men winner was one of the coaches from my daughter Edelweiss team, Women winner had been busy having a bunch of kids since winning the Canadian Masters (not 100% sure) a few years ago.

Vertical: 160 meters
Month 64
Bid number: 56
Turnout: 55
Time to get to the hill: 35 minutes
Time to get home: 20 minutes
Position: 17
Day 13
January 12
Year 11
Race, night and beer won: 2
Best day/night of the season: 1
Money paid for beer for far this racing season: Priceless! :D

Here are this evening’s results. The Masters next stop on the circuit should be a Slalom on Zoomer at Edelweiss.

Originally posted on Ski Mad World.

Back