Plattekill MLK

kingslug

Figured the crowds would be nuts everywhere else so off to plattekill I go..brought the GF..she lodges very well. The place was busy., about as busy as it gets..which means a 2 minute wait..or none when you ski with the ski patrol...line cutting privelages are nice but not even needed here as most people ride the triple. With 4 inches of new overnight and 18 inches the week before..which was untouched since friday I would say this place might have had the best conditions...on the east coast..maybe??? Absolutely no ice at all which is more then I can say for my favorite place...yes it gets a little thin on the bumped up runs..but Blockbuster was pretty deep and plunge had the best moguls. Met up with rfarren..couldn't figure which where he was as there where several people with green jackets..so I just said..loudly.while waiting in line."can't figure out where he is in this sea of green jackets" that got his attention...got a few looks when he yelled out "kingslug"
Stayed at a super BB in Fleishmans an old converted mansion called Breezy Hill..this place was 4 star, incredible interior and grounds...and the food in the morning was super. Hit Platt again Monday and it was empty..and stayed that way all day..never more than 5 people on a run at a time. Only bummer was my $180.00 Oakly goggles broke..but they are fixable..gave me 5 years so far so can't complain.....
plattekill_1-16_17_2011_003.jpg

plattekill_1-16_17_2011_005.jpg

plattekill_1-16_17_2011_014.jpg

plattekill_1-16_17_2011_009.jpg

Nope..the strap broke off the mounting pin when I took them off..its a small plastic pin...that broke..I just fixed it with a...metal screw...you can see the screw head so now they look like...hillbilly goggles...I have thankfully not fallen yet this season..I'm sure this will change eventualy...might be time for those new Zeals..although the 30.00 scotts I bought..worked fine..

Platt was beautiful Sunday when I met up with KIngslug. I think the mountain will ski incredibly well by mid-february as it needs just a little more snow to get those trees in line. Once those trees open up the mountain will kick it to another level, and then I'm sure Kingslug will have a reason to push it to the point where he can bail.

I love those little tight trails off of the main ones. They are quite narrow, so I imagine they hold the snow really well on the windiest of days. They had a classic new england feel to it. Nikki didn't like the tight ones, as they were slightly bumped up (even though they were soft) and had some rocks here or there. I think she felt constricted by the narrowness of those trails. It's sometimes hard to remember that not everybody can make short quick turns when they need to and that can totally affect how they feel about a trail. For example, my father much prefers Whiteface's open boulevards to (most likely better suited to the weather) narrow new england trails.

Nikki wiped out a few times on the wider trails. I think the softer snow got the better of her a few times with the smaller moguls. I reminded her that falling is a part of skiing and that only means she is getting better because she is pushing herself. Nonetheless, I think the falls crimped her mojo a little, and the lack of sleep conspired against her confidence and muscles too. She saw video of her skiing and was disappointed her skis seemed too far apart from eachother. I tried to stress that her upper body was properly situated and that is harder than getting your feet in the right place. When we go out to Alta at the very end of March/April I think I'm going to get her a private lesson for one of the days. I think a professional teacher will be able to give her instruction and tools that I can't or that I don't know how to. Other than that, I think for her that mileage is the most important factor for her skiing at this point.

Admin":28bdui6w said:
kingslug":28bdui6w said:
I have thankfully not fallen yet this season

"No falls, no balls."
I've never seen you fall...in like 4 years...so.........
but then again in those 4 years I've probably skied with you ...12 times?? so......

rfarren":2n3t2tie said:
I think a professional teacher will be able to give her instruction
Admin or BobbyD might give Nikki a better deal. I was quite impressed with what they did with Becky in 2008. But your instincts are right. YOU don't want to be the person instructing when she's pushing the limits, especially if there's any fear factor.

Back