Gosh Darn It!!!

rfarren

Just when the snow has been good we are getting a stupid freezing rain event! Last night I looked and it seemed that just above Stratton there would be sleet but not freezing rain. Now NOAA is saying freezing rain from the Catskills all the way up. What a drag!

So any weather followers want to offer an opinion as to prospects for New Hampshire today and tomorrow? I'm thinking that NH would be the best shot for a day-trip from Boston, but it's a tough call.

Cannon is calling for 8 - 12 today, then 3 - 6 more tomorrow. OTOH, NWS has totals about 50% less in their Franconia Notch forecast. I don't have enough experience of either local forecast to say whether the mountain may get more. Also tough to know how much mixed precip/ice will sneak in there. Trying to decide whether to take a day off tomorrow...

Rob, I have to disagree with you..The majority of the precip was snow in the Cats . That was followed by sleet. No harm was done to the snow pack and I bet it all bonded well to any boilerplate out there. This should coat the woods nicely..Go have a peak at the 12z NAM and GFS..

jasoncapecod":26arf4vu said:
Rob, I have to disagree with you..The majority of the precip was snow in the Cats . That was followed by sleet. No harm was done to the snow pack and I bet it all bonded well to any boilerplate out there. This should coat the woods nicely..Go have a peak at the 12z NAM and GFS..
No freezing rain? OK well this is good news.... but NOAA is saying:

NWS Forecast for: Hunter NY
Issued by: National Weather Service Albany, NY
Last Update: 12:30 pm EST Jan 18, 2011

Hazardous Weather Outlook
Winter Storm Warning

This Afternoon: Freezing rain and sleet, possibly mixed with snow. High near 33. Northeast wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. Total daytime snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Tonight: Rain, snow, and sleet before 8pm, then freezing drizzle. Low around 23. North wind between 5 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New ice accumulation of around a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Wednesday: A chance of snow showers, freezing rain, and sleet before 8am, then a chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34. Northwest wind between 5 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Freezing rain at the ski areas in the East in mid January. Gee, what an unexpected, incredibly rare occurrence. :roll: :-({|= :stir:

Marc_C":2teqd0m0 said:
Freezing rain at the ski areas in the East in mid January. Gee, what an unexpected, incredibly rare occurrence. :roll: :-({|= :stir:

Yea, the streak was too good to last. I mean ..... it hasn't rained here for two weeks. We were due for some of that "liquid snow" that will set up just great once the frigid temps return this weekend. UGH

Hey the event is not over yet, so the jury is out.

But I see this as a very positive event.

This morning Gore went from barely skiable in a few mellow tree runs to game-on.

Some sleet and maybe some freezing drizzle - may have gotten mountains (like Gore) that aren't in prime upslope areas over the base building hump.

If I could order up a repeat of today, for tomorrow - I'd take it.

GoreMtn.jpg

rfarren":1803cqoz said:
I can live with the sleet, but the freezing rain... no way. I wouldn't order this up again.

I agree. Freezing rain is almost NEVER good for ski conditions, but I'm not sure how much damage was actually done by this latest snow/sleet/rain system. Temps never really got above 32, so not much melting and more snow predicted on Friday. But frigid temps this weekend - maybe the coldest of the entire winter.

berkshireskier":bk9gxj8g said:
rfarren":bk9gxj8g said:
I can live with the sleet, but the freezing rain... no way. I wouldn't order this up again.

I agree. Freezing rain is almost NEVER good for ski conditions, but I'm not sure how much damage was actually done by this latest snow/sleet/rain system. Temps never really got above 32, so not much melting and more snow predicted on Friday. But frigid temps this weekend - maybe the coldest of the entire winter.
Snow could be a little crusty on top but soft just underneath. Grooming machines could do a lot to keep that soft. The terrain under deciduous trees could be bad, but under pines it could be well protected. We'll see...

NYC is going to be a real $hi# Show. It rained yesterday, but not enough to get rid of the Snow from the past few storms. As it freezes over tonight the city is going to become a "crampons only" type of town, and that's not even considering the fact that the snow mounds between parking spaces are about to become bumper breakers.

Reports I've got (from skiers) indicate no frz r**n, and very little sleet at Gore.

As a tree skier - a storm that takes you from no trees to trees - I'll take it.

What are others mtns reporting for ptype?

Wow. Base building event following by pow on Friday for the mountains with rain and freezing rain making things a complete mess down in metro. Perfect storm if you ask me. I am SO pumped up for this coming weekend. Its going to be epic for sure.

Back