george pow farming 1/17/11

icelanticskier

been good up high the past couple months.

fortunately not many others seem to realize this phenomenon. yesterday was cold. too cold to ride a chair and ski groomers.

better snow at 6000ft

163184_1762093140510_1484540759_1881959_4814997_n.jpg

164758_1762093380516_1484540759_1881960_1289378_n.jpg

168579_1762093500519_1484540759_1881961_6293645_n.jpg

snowed all day today. split my time between mildcat and george. still snowing.

rog

rfarren":1236ghtp said:
Looks nice!!! I noticed the new K2s.

ya rob, george has been serving it up per usual. the thaw a few weeks back hardly caused any problems with quality up high. -11 degrees at tour start yesterday was chilly, especially once we gained the 3500+ vert to the farm spot. got up to minus 2 at the warmest up there which allowed for sunglasses and just the shell, never pulled out the down puffy.

the k2's are sweet. backlash 181cm 129-92-115 with a bit of rocker tip, flat tail. perfect all rounder for me. like the metal layer too for firm conditions.

the marker f12 binders are the cats a$$. ski like a race binder, tour like a dream.

more tomorrow, still snowing in n-con. 8-10" so far today in the valley.

rog

Nice, Rog! I figured you'd be working all the new snow over quite well. Its been a great January after a lean start over there. :mrgreen:

Tony Crocker":24flp7ha said:
never pulled out the down puffy.
That's hardy New England blood for you. I would have been wearing everything I owned.
Not when earning turns. I toured on the 17th (lower elevation) and shed the shell after a few minutes and skinned and skied with just a light weight base layer and wind shirt. No wind for the win! Internal furnace rules on cold days without wind.

riverc0il":ffrrc1bh said:
Nice, Rog! I figured you'd be working all the new snow over quite well. Its been a great January after a lean start over there. :mrgreen:

ya steve, been up on the rock a bunch. december was quite good in the bowl, but now many things are coming into form. skiing up there is always so interesting from trip to trip. pretty easy to find wonderful snow on a daily basis if you know how to follow it around, up, and down.

Tony Crocker":ffrrc1bh said:
never pulled out the down puffy.
That's hardy New England blood for you. I would have been wearing everything I owned.
Not when earning turns. I toured on the 17th (lower elevation) and shed the shell after a few minutes and skinned and skied with just a light weight base layer and wind shirt. No wind for the win! Internal furnace rules on cold days without wind.

i must say, i've never been so chilled to the bone as i have been in the wasatch on some of the mornings going up into whitepine and beyond. way colder than i've ever been on george. it just bites so sharply out there in comparison. made me wanna puke a few times actually.

monday was cold, this monday looks to be the same. i will head up dressed the same with hand and toe warmers fer sure. those things are life savers for me.

rog

Unfortunately my internal furnace breaks sweat at the drop of a hat. Get cold after that and it's not fun. On my 2009 hike up White Pine I lightened up while climbing, then got into some wind on the ridgeline and ended up with numb fingers that took ~10 minutes to thaw out. Overall that was a nice weather day, so I suspect I would not do well on a sustained climb that was much colder.

Back