HIGH NEW HAMPSHIRE.........again

icelanticskier

spent more days on the rock this week. always good, always deserted, never disappoints. my friend joannes words below:

chickwhorips;147975 said:
Rog raved about the conditions of the gulf course on Tuesday, and since I didn't have any projects on the calendar, I though I could fit a couple of rounds in... And hey the reason I moved up here is to fit some gulfing in before/after work :D

There definitely was variability in the snowpack. I suggested to Rog that we dig a pit to assess stability. He chuckled, pulled out a voodoo doll and started poking at it with his Whippet. Said stability wouldn't be an issue today :rolleyes:

But I know that what you folks really want to see are some pictures...

The gulf course on Wed morning - undercast conditions, no wind:

DSCN2543.jpg

New trend in BC skiing... pack color must match coat color! I even have a matching tuque but forgot to bring it.

DSCN2545.jpg

Rog out in front

DSCN2546.jpg

Nice drive (the sun even came out!)

DSCN2550.jpg

Pretty good second shot too

DSCN2551.jpg

You have to admit that this guy has a good swing! (click for video)

Taking a break between rounds

DSCN2557.jpg

Heading out for the second round

DSCN2561.jpg

Driving is the best part of my game!

DSCN2586.jpg

Hey did you notice that my boots match my jacket and pack?

DSCN2587.jpg

Getting hard to keep track of the ball with all this snow flying around... I'll have remember to bring pink ones next time!

DSCN2590.jpg

so much good skiing everywhere!

rog

Looks fabulous! There's something romantic about earning your own turns.

Mt. Washington is a must on my to do list. I don't think I'll do it this year, as the friend that I want to do it with is recovering from a torn rotator cuff, but next year April/May I will be there.

go for it rob!

george and relatives will always be there. april and may are amazing with corn of the finest kind. sometimes pow too!

love the k2's more every day btw. so easy to ski. what took me so long to get a ski with a metal layer in it?

rog

Are your k2's specific for touring or a downhill ski that you've put AT bindings on? What are the specs on those bad boys.

rfarren":t8ncok76 said:
Are your k2's specific for touring or a downhill ski that you've put AT bindings on? What are the specs on those bad boys.

they are part of the backside line, or basically flat skis that you can run any binder on. my backlashes are 181cm (really 183cm) 129-92-115 (perfect) with a metal sheet of titanal (makes em wicked damp and hold like a bastid on the firm) 70% camber 30% rocker tip and a flat tail.

the marker f12 touring binders are amazing. climbed 50k of vert on george alone so far this season and they work as they should and ski like a dream. super stiff!

they match the ski in color too which is all that really matters :bow:

wow, getting late!

rog

icelanticskier":1wv42muh said:
love the k2's more every day btw. so easy to ski. what took me so long to get a ski with a metal layer in it?
I guess I missed the memo -- when did you stop skiing Icelantics?

Apologies if I already asked this question; I'm having a lot of senior moments lately.

jamesdeluxe":for36f17 said:
icelanticskier":for36f17 said:
I guess I missed the memo -- when did you stop skiing Icelantics?

Apologies if I already asked this question; I'm having a lot of senior moments lately.

3 seasons ago james. 2 seasons on atomics, this season on k2. don't let the senior moments get the better of ya!

rog

+1 for K2!

my third season on K2 Obsethed's and marker barons, and i love them! my set up is a little heavy for full on backcountry touring, but perfect for sidecountry and short backcountry. i thought these were going to be my Jackson trip powder skis (138/105/125) but really now are just my everyday eastcoast skis. i admit they suck on boiler plate, but i'd rather not ski that anyways, and head off trail. i'm most surprised with the utility of the twin tip - i could care less for skiing in the park or backwards, but in very tight trees they make the turn radius shorter and skis more nimble, and i don't get stuck in tight spaces if i do have to back up a little. these skis are virtually unchanged (maybe a lil more rocker in the tip?) since they came out, and it looks like the older ones are pretty cheap now: my point being check them out if you need a new pair for your quiver or want to try something new, i think these were ahead of they're time. with a wood core, metal sheet, and light tip and tail rocker, they're the perfect mad river glen ski and something you might never think of for the eastcoast.

Nice Rog. Happy to see that the Chick still Rips. Say hi from me next time you see her. Been too busy in my own World to look at the internet much, so I haven't looked at T4T or TGR in awhile. Oh yeah, and dealing with my own little ski ripper has kept me from traveling far. :mrgreen:

may see joanne at mildcat tomorrow for the big dump. will say hello to her for you if i see her. another 12k of climbing and 8 gully laps between yesterday and today up high. snowed like heck today. unreal. no other souls around. i'm getting used to the solitude. i like it :mrgreen:

mmmmmm, tomorrow............

rog

new week, 4 more days up high on the rockpile. pulled a before work dawn patrol summit to car run with friend drew on saturday. a classic descent from the summit of mt washington which falls continuously for 4300 vertical feet. great sunny saturday morning. done by 11am. no other skier seen. no other skiers seen today up high either. great pow skiing today. but this isn't about today.........................

The pre-dawn start
avyboard_dark_800600.jpg

Tucks at sunrise (worth reposting for context):
tuckerman_sunrise_800600.jpg

The angry old man (note debris, slid again an hour after we booted up LC):
tuckerman_bowl_800600.jpg

As windy as you ever want to get on the summit
[VIMEO]19633948[/VIMEO]

Only descent pic in all its blurred glory
mtw_turns_blurred_800600.jpg

Have a few more here with a lil' photo essay theme...fantastic tour marked by awarness, determination, and good turns.[/QUOTE]

some other good photos on link above. or below:

http://easternbackcountry.com/

rog

Back