Edelweiss QC : Cold Pow Kids – January 15-16, 2011

Patrick

Here is a small rundown of the Edelweiss weekend of this dry and relatively warm season (ie. no deep freeze) so far.
Four weeks ago: Not much open.
Three weeks ago: good conditions, but still limited terrain.
Two weeks ago: Day after the 2 day thaw. Back to square with terrible conditions.
One week ago: Much better.
This week? Winter’s back.

Saturday

Feels a lot more like January and an Ottawa Winter. Today was also the potluck day for the Edelweiss Racing Team. The whole family was in for this one…and it wasn’t easy to leave. It was -16c as we left home.

Morgane went straight for the lifts with a few kids. Her group was still inside.
I went back out to buy lift tickets for my wife and youngest daughter.

Walked back in to give them the tickets and get ready. As I walked towards the lift to realized that I forgot my goggles back upstairs in the Race room.

As I head back out for the third time, I see Morgane not feeling well and feeling wuzzy. Back in with her.

After giving warming her up, I went out to catch the family outside. I saw them skiing Zoomer from the lift. Skied a few runs and but I didn’t see them again. Maybe they were inside as I skied down to see, they were going in. Another break.

Kids went in for lunch at 11am, Tara and I came in at noon. My wife Caroline did an extra 2 runs. As the kids were heading out. We started a small lunch. That hot chocolat (normally not a fan) was real good. You could hear some kids crying as they were totally frozen.

I went out to ski one run prior to them. As I was checking what kept the rest of the family, I meet them halfway between the lodge and the lift. After saying she didn’t need to go to the washroom inside, Tara was all dressed and outside THEN she mentioned that she needed to go… but she could hold on. A fuss ensured…she needed to go now.

Out again and did a few runs. It was now puking. The potluck was starting at 2:30 and skied until 2:45 as the snow was accumulating nicely. The side of trail was real sweet.

The surfaces were powder on the frozen slick surface. As people were finishing up eating and talking and the race kids went tubing….I decided that I needed to make a few runs. Less crowded and more fun.

Sunday

Not a family day. -23c as we turned into the parking lot.
Fresh snow, but in traditional MSSI way, groomers heaven. Yodeler is closed to huge snowmaking for the snowpark.

10cm in town so people came out. The problem was that the fixed quad wasn’t running until noon, so the lineups were huge. I gave up at headed in once the line was too big for the time it took me to do short laps. It was cold so I decided to go in and wait it out. The kids came in at 11am. Snowmaking was happening on Easter bowl. Load test was being done at the new quad. Yodeler was closed and a crazy amount of snow was being made for the snowpark.

In the afternoon the kids got the blades and disappeared on old trails through the woods.. I skied the upper part of Zoomer’s whales and a great fun for a short time, also checked the narrow ‘Monkey trail’. There was a huge mountain of snow measured in feet of the lower Zoomer which blocked off half the trail. I presume there are going to move it for the park feature on the side and spread it out.

Crowds got to me today and heading just before the kids would come in. At the end of the day was -16c.

Very little skiing = 9 runs.

Originally posted on Ski Mad World. I'm having some technical difficulties with my Suunto, so I'll edit the post once I can download the logs.

Back