Edelweiss QC – Master Slalom night on January 19, 2011

Patrick

Links inside this post that be found on Ski Mad World.

Ottawa Masters Ski Association first slalom of the year.

Third stop of the season, first at Edelweiss.

The huge mountain was gone and the snow was flatten and part of it was moved into the snowpark. My wife and daughter were out the previous night in the light snow. Talked of great conditions.

Temps were around -15c. The parking lot was pretty full, the bar also. That is where we register and suit up. The Masters races rarely start on time, tonight was no exception. They started 10 minutes early. I guess when they talk about 7:30pm start, it must be an average or something. Either that or the starter was cold and wanted to get started.

I got at the top and the first skiing were already gone, did a real fast inspection and left my extra jacket at the bottom. Back up and we were pretty much back into running in order as I wasn’t the only one on time (but late for the start). Before you know it, I was in the starting gate. However it took a long time to get to the bottom. It was a long course gate wise. Not sure how many gates, but a lot more than what we are accustomed to. Had a good feeling, but my legs were dying at the second roll maybe 15 gates from the finish. This was “Master” course, set by no other than Mike Tommy. That guy one thing or two about running slalom courses.

Repeated this two more time, as in Masters’ racing it the cumulative best two runs that column, so you can give’er all you’ve got. Again this week, I did a bunch an extra runs even if my feet were cold. The groomed snow on Zoomer was so good.

No beer bet (ie. potential free beer) tonight, this was the FB status of a fellow competitor:

I’ll be missing the Edelweiss race tonight: looks like the boys will have to buy their own beer!.

I was happy to pay my own beer to myself, as I had an excellent nice and excellent race. Next race is Back to Fortune with Slalom2 (Slalom on Slalom)…which is going to feel so much shorter.

Here are this evening’s results. There was a few question marks for the fastest run of the night by 4 seconds…but nothing is taken too seriously on these racing series, it’s mostly for fun.

Originally posted on Ski Mad World.

Back