Camp Fortune QC – Saturday Jan 22, 11

Patrick

My daughter’s first real race with the big girls and boys. Her first slalom ever.

It’s been a long time since I parked at the Skyline side at Camp Fortune which is even closer to town. I believe it took me only 15 minutes to get from my house to the lot…something like 15km. It was -24c as we got at the hill for 8:30am. Great introduction to ski racing. It had been unseasonably warm this winter.

The race was down Canadian. A 165 meters slalom course. As we looked up the hill, I saw someone skinning up and doing switchbacks on the the steep Heggveit trail, however it didn’t have enough snow to open by typical ski industry standards, Swan Dive the same doesn’t have snowmaking and with the season we’ve been having snow wise, not surprising. Next to today’s race trail, Chute was being blasted with snow guns.

The whole family had made the trip to see SteepMomo’s first real race. She raced in Nancy Greene league (intro to ski racing) last year before making the big jump into K2 this year. As I skied off with my wife and youngest, I mentioned I was going to meet them at the bottom as I detoured toward the start of the course. As I got there, Morgane was frozen. I tried to make her move; so much that I started to sweat.

I stayed until I was time for her to ski down and wanted to bring some jackets down as I had to used another trail. Unfortunately I missed most of my daughter’s 1st run. She headed in and my wife and youngest had already done a few runs. Tara wanted to head in as she was also cold. Not much skiing for me.

So it became an early lunch. After lunch I managed to ski a bit more. I left the start a bit earlier, but managed to miss part of my daughter run again as I was trying to film her but the videocam was frozen. Not sure if I managed to get any footage.

My daughter was a bit disappointed of her first race. She straddled and climbed back up in the second run. She is way down in the standings, but it is her first race racing compare to vast majority of her competition. Like my daughter mentioned, some kids at this level went to Chile to train in the summer.

After the race we headed back out for a few runs. Headed towards the Valley near the Main Lodge, where it’s busier and the vertical is shorter. As we got back to the tiny Skyline chalet, the place was deserted. What was full of racers and parents earlier in the day, before a place of forgotten items with water bottle, gloves, shin pads, etc. My daughter recognized that it was her teammates pads, as managed to get her the message via Facebook before we were able to find her parents’ coordinates.

Next race is tomorrow at Mont Ste-Marie. We are going to have to leave pretty early.

Originally posted on Ski Mad World. I'm having some technical difficulties with my Suunto, so I'll edit the post once I can download the logs.

Back