Gore and Hickory 2.5-2.6.11

rfarren

I went up this past weekend to the southern Daks. I woke up at 5:00 in the morning and got on the road by 5:15 Saturday morning. I drove all the way to warrensburg arriving at Hickory Ski Center at 8:45. Hickory is closed on weekdays. That made it perfect to hit this Saturday, as it snowed 16 inches over there on Wednesday night/Thursday. It's a small mountain with 2 pomas that is natural snow dependent and is somehow a coop but isn't.... :-s I was explained but I wasn't really sure how it is run because there are some screwy laws in NY. Anyhow, it was pretty much all untracked, although not quite blower was pretty darn good. The place had a great vibe. Perhaps, it's what Soulskier is going for except with gnarlier big out west alpine terrain. I was totally beat because of the early drive and food deprivation.
Hickory View.jpg

I left early to have my skis worked on in North Creek. By then the forecasted storm had come in and made the roads miserable. Nonetheless, I survived.

That night is snowed some 8 or so inches at gore, but it was also mixed in with some sleet and freezing rain. It caused havoc on the lift lines as it took forever to get the upper mountain open. That meant all the people were funneling down to the gondola. On my third trip down the single line was literally 25 minutes long.
gore lines.jpg

By the time I got to the head of the line the upper mountain lifts were opened. You would think that the freezing rain would cause the snow to be horrible but to my surprise it was great and soft. It was like a cake with soft on top, crust in the middle, soft on bottom. It actually reminded me a bit of the wind buffed I skied out in Whistler last December. I met some locals who offered to show me around the trees. They showed me some amazing terrain, and were super super nice. I later linked up with Powderqueen for a few runs, although I missed Harvey44 whom I met that morning on the line. The snow conditions were pretty soft despite the freezing rain the prior night. I never heard a scratch and I had no problem skiing my mantras.
gore lift.jpg

gore lift 2.jpg

icelanticskier":8zk2n0qd said:
glad the crust didn't effect conditions in much of a negative way at all. hickory must be cool.
The Freezing Rain really didn't effect it at all. I can't explain it, perhaps it's because freezing rain doesn't soak into the snow creating a bulletproof base, or maybe it was because 4 inches of dense snow fell on either layer of the rain. Who knows?

Hickory is a great place. It should definitely be on the radar of any powder hound in the Capital region. If it snows there midweek it doesn't get touched. It is due north facing so the exposure is perfect for preservation. It just had a great vibe. Totally the "soul of skiing" type of place. The added advantage of that place is that every part of the mountain is skiable...all the trees. It's sort of like NY's smaller version of MRG.

Rob ... from your reports and what I've heard backchannel, it sounds like you had a great weekend.

I did too. Gore was great on Saturday, but nothing like sking HSC on a pow Saturday.

I'm bummed we didn't get to ski together on Sunday. The cluster @#$% with the lifts and my noon departure basically screwed everything up. I looked for you all morning, but no luck. I should have just jumped out of line and come back with you guys.

FYI because of the funky way the HR forum works (it's embedded) your link above isn't exactly right.

Here's the specific link to Rob's TR:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/The-Hickory- ... 56239.html

and also PDQs TR from the same day:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Hickory-Ski- ... 48578.html

I noticed Hickory when driving home from NJ last year as you can see it from I 87. Have always liked these kind of operations. Currently on the disabled list under doctor's orders ( now in therapy) not to ski after a disk problem in the lower back just happened after making a quick turn last week out in the woods so will get by reading the reports.

Admin":1t133dtt said:
I went about 8 years ago and had a blast...once I learned how to make that damned turn, that is.

Would pay big money for a pic!

Time for a return visit Admin. We'll be waiting for you at the top of Poma 2.

:wink:

Anthony":v7tnfasm said:
I noticed Hickory when driving home from NJ last year as you can see it from I 87. Have always liked these kind of operations. Currently on the disabled list under doctor's orders ( now in therapy) not to ski after a disk problem in the lower back just happened after making a quick turn last week out in the woods so will get by reading the reports.
Get better soon. That's a serious bummer, back problems are brutal.

On my honeymoon through Austria, my wife and I noticed how many small home town hills there were. Some of them were smaller than hickory and others were larger, with serious alpine areas. The terrain being different, these little areas reminded me of Hickory. In fact, as a whole I think the austria reminded me more of the NE than out west, even if the mountains were larger. Just the vegetation along with the small towns....

I liked seeing the High Peaks to north from the top of Hickory. I wasn't sure if it was Marcy or Algonquin that I was looking at, but they were certainly snowcapped and pretty.

Harvey44":1odp7866 said:
Admin":1odp7866 said:

Very cool to read your TR and Kirby's lone post on FTO. For the search function challenged (me) - could you post the link to the feature referenced in the TR? We are trying to fuel the stoke for Telefest this weekend and I'd like post a link in the HR Forum.

Either long gone or I didn't do it, I forget which. :oops:

Admin":23jjdel7 said:
Either long gone or I didn't do it, I forget which. :oops:
I may be to blame for the confusion. A year or two ago, I asked Admin to dig up the alleged Hickory feature, but we came to the conclusion that it didn't exist.

Apparently, the original forum TR was so compelling, so cleanly written, and richly documented with photos that I mistook it for an official feature.
:-D

rfarren":2jipqtqv said:
I liked seeing the High Peaks to north from the top of Hickory. I wasn't sure if it was Marcy or Algonquin that I was looking at, but they were certainly snowcapped and pretty.

Both are prominent in the view from Hickory. Algonquin is to the looker's left (west), Marcy to the right.

This past weekend was a Hickory (Sat) and Gore (Sun) weekend for me.

I know Admin has a special place in his heart for Hickory, and now I know why.

It was my first trip to Hickory in winter. I'd seen how beautiful the place was last fall, but it was not enough to prep me for the day we had on Saturday.

With Hickory's operating schedule (weekends only) the icy precip that fell last Saturday evening was under maybe 6+ inches of new snow. It was very manageable, and a blast on teles. I don't know if it was adrenaline, or the all natural snow, or just luck, but I skied the bumps better than I have ever skied them.

Saturday was Hickory's 4th Annual Telemark Festival, and we had done everything we could to promote it and encourage turn out. I still don't have an official number, but I heard estimates that there were as many as 380 skiers who attended.

The day alternated between sunny, cloudy and we even had outright nukeage...

12 NUKEAGE.jpg

Our report is here:

Hickory Telemark Festival - Feb 12, 2011

Weather permitting, we're trying to organize a Harvey Road day at Hickory on March 5. If you live in the northeast, and can travel to the southern Adirondacks, I encourage you to support Hickory. In my opinion, there's no place like it.

PS Admin - you'll be happy to know that during the after party we watched the WinchCat do a quick touch up on the lower mountain. It was done quickly and the upper mountain's expert terrain wasn't touched.

I also enjoyed Hickory on 2/5 and 2/12 for Telefest. It was nice to meet you Rob!

I posted my TR and bunch of pix here from Feb 5:
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Hickory-Ski- ... 48578.html

There was a foot or more of untracked settled snow, however, I wouldn't say it was powdery. A little stiff, yet fun to put tracks in. It was surely the best choice for lift served fresh snow in NY that day.

It snowed hard at the end of that day and gave us hope for a big powder day the next day. We got thunder and lightening and every form of precip that can fall from the sky that night. The crust at the top of Gore wasn't too bad and with skier traffic, the glades were skied in nicely by 11am. Pam and I took an early break to let the masses break it up for us. When we returned from brunch at the Saddle Lodge, we were delighted with the condition of the woods on the darkside (all the trees served by the High Peaks double).

The Poma's at Hickory wore us both out on Saturday. Sunday morning we were both suffering from sore arms and shoulders, as well as tight hamstrings. I was warmed up and ready to rip by noon. Pam didn't recover well and didn't feel it that day, so we left at 2pm to get home in time for the Stupid Bowl.

I loved Hickory so much that I decided to get back for Telefest. I joined a welcoming pack of free-heelers with free spirits and participated in the tour de Trees lead by Kirby. It was wicked fun. Then after a quick bite, I slipped into some Scarpa's and got a pair of fat Icelantic chick skis and headed for the groomers. Two of my pinning pals from the morning joined me and another friend on the easier trails for a couple of hours until it started to puke snow. I only had sunglasses on, so I needed goggles. By that point my feet were so cramped and hurting from those Scarpas I couldn't even think about continuing. It was 3pm by that time, so I had put in a respectable day that started at 8:30. For me it was Beer:30

Here's my report from Telefest
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Hickory-Ski- ... 83812.html
Great to see Harvey44 somewhere besdies Gore!

And the next day Feb 13, Gore was the best I've skied it all season. Every glade had great snow. We even found a little fresh coating on the upper mountain early in the morning. Didn't ski on-piste at all that day, except to get to the woods.

Two great weekends in a row. Looks like this weekend will be spent closer to home in preparation for a trip to BC with Rochester Mark, his Rippa Sista, Pam, DJ, Carolyn and 4 other Gore friends.

It's been a great season so far. Wondering how things will be when I get back in March.

Powderqueen":25j5oq7o said:
Great to see Harvey44 somewhere besides Gore!

It is hard to get me away from that place. On Sunday I went as far away as I could get. Down the interconnect to the historic North Creek Ski Bowl. Technically, it is part of Gore, but the locals who ski it, and it does seem like they are the majority over there... would rather consider it their own local hill.

If Big Gore has had 100 inches this year (which it has by my count), maybe Little Gore has had 70. But 70 inches of totally unskied snow, skis pretty nice. The Bowl is a bit like Hickory - less than 1000 feet of vert, but you use it all on every run.

We skied fresh lines all day long over there. Here's my TR from Sunday:

North-Creek-Ski-Bowl-NY-2-27-11

Adk%2BKeith.jpg

James and I hit Hickory on our way home from Jay Peak on Saturday.

It had been 8 or 9 years (?) since James had been to Hickory, and I think I can speak for him: he loved it.

The day started with only the groomers being skiable, but by 11 it was game on for the upper mountain, and the trees.

We skied with Paul:

Paul3.jpg

And we skied Paul's Peril:

Pauls+Peril.jpg

Great day. James' TR here:

Hickory Ski Center, NY: 3/5/11

Back