Edelweiss QC – Jan 27-29, 11 : Night and Day, Train and Race

Patrick

Busy trio of ski outings back at the season’s home hill. Night and Day, Train and Race was the motto of the second half of the week. So after an evening of racing at Fortune, I was back to Edelweiss for three straight days. This time with my daughter as she was heading into another weekend of races, so I wanted to give her a chance to get some more mileage in gates before the next races. I noticed that she was only one of three girls that had never races at the competitive level before, so the jump is enormous when your thirteen. The scheduling of back-to-back double weekend races was due to the first weekend races in early January being postponed to the previous weekend. In my mind, there wasn’t much value for Steepmomo to hit four races in a row without training.

Thursday evening

So we attended the first Thursday training with the Edelweiss Ski Team (the prior week it was held on Tuesday as they were trying to arrange for a night where coaches would be available. Another night where I don’t have time to eat supper before heading out in traffic to go skiing. So it’s been snowing for the last 3 days. A nice evening at -8c, much warmer than my daughter’s last two ski days on the weekend. Kids were training GS while parent volunteers we’re either getting Zoomer ready for the race on Saturday or were inside making the start lists, sorting out the bids, preparing the different teams kits, etc. Edelweiss was hosting another race this weekend.

The Edelweiss club is small in term of athletes and parents compared to the bigger club like Fortune (ex-Ottawa Ski Club). We are a few parents to help organize the races, and the hill holds more than its fair share. Edelweiss is ideal hill to run different type of races as Zoomer and Strief offer a good length slopes for all levels of racers.

A summary of my evening was three runs in slightly less than two hours on the hill helping out setting the netting around the towers and getting a rundown on my tasks for Saturday’s race

Like the previous night’s race, conditions looked great, but I didn’t get to ski much of it. Easter Bowl was now open and it sounded like snowmaking was happening on Strief.

Friday PD day

Geez, a 2 day work week, I’m afraid it’s going to catch up to me.

Morgane had a PD day and took another day off work this week in order to go skiing and let her train. Earlier in the season we were given the opportunity to join the Vorlage ski team which trains at Edelweiss during in the daytime on Fridays. Vorlage’s team would seem to be bigger in numbers even if their is hill located 5 minutes in the village of Wakefield isn’t.

Morgane was the only from Edelweiss to train as it wasn’t a PD day for all school boards in the Ottawa-Gatineau. Skied Zoomer all day, nineteen runs on a perfectly groomed and somewhat firm slope. Perfect to carve turns. I was going laps with Morgane as she was hitting the GS course and getting some feedback from the Vorlage coach. Talking on the lift with her on the lift and heading down again. It was a great training session. Definitely a nice day to ski and it doesn’t hurt when it’s quiet and only -6c. You get some quality skiing in.

And Strief? No snowmaking today, but there are huge whales of snow of the trail, it just needs to be flatten out.

Saturday: Race day

The big day was here, it was Edelweiss’ turn to host a K2 Slalom race. A real early day was also in store even if Edelweiss is only 35 minutes from our home. Being voluntold, I had to show up at the ski area at 7:15am to start setting up the hill prior to the race. As one of the first car to arrive, I drove across the parking lot only to crashed through fresh snowbank that the plow had pushed between the rows. I wasn’t expecting anything. I dropped my girl at the race room, got a radio, key, drill, timing wire and I was on the lift at 7:45. I only skied down to the start area where I would remain in the vicinity until the end of the first run in the late morning. At least it wasn’t cold like the previous week, it was snowing lightly and temps were around -8c. I managed to catch Morgane’s run from the top of the pitch. Pretty good.

After a quick lunch break of 15 minutes, I was back on the hill. Morgane’s second run was awesome and fast. The few people above the pitch were impressed. She might be the smallest, but she skied aggressively. As she is so small, the coach mentioned not to ski through the gates, but around them. It made a retro ski racing style. Unfortunately the standing aren’t by weight category as some racers are already twice of weight. Nevertheless, she is progressing and I was trilled of her run.

At the end of the race after tear down was done, I did a few runs to say that at least I skied a bit today. Tomorrow, we return to Skyline at Fortune for a GS down The Chute.
Originally posted with a map (and eventually a log) on Ski Mad World. I'm having some technical difficulties with my Suunto, so I'll edit the post once I can download the logs.

Back