Midwinter thaw

MarcC":3neu7vcc said:
reexposed, then resurfaced, then exposed, then resurfaced except for here and there...
Just goes to show the importance of rain events in degrading ski conditions (sorry, icelantic). Mammoth was fortunate to escape the widespread MLK weekend event, and while conditions there were not up to usual standards during the just-ended drought, there was very little ice/frozen granular during that time.

MarcC":3neu7vcc said:
it was really light so it didn't cushion much, then exposed again
Sierra Cement is much more effective in burying an unpleasant subsurface permanently. We do get some consolation for not getting very many of the blower days.

Tony Crocker":2n9ygp2r said:
MarcC":2n9ygp2r said:
reexposed, then resurfaced, then exposed, then resurfaced except for here and there...
Just goes to show the importance of rain events in degrading ski conditions (sorry, icelantic). Mammoth was fortunate to escape the widespread MLK weekend event, and while conditions there were not up to usual standards during the just-ended drought, there was very little ice/frozen granular during that time.
It's a good thing that this warm up wasnt accompanied with strong rains. There may have been places up in the mountains that got very light wet precip, but it wasn't the usual 40 days 40 nights style of rain that often comes with a midwinter thaw. Later this weekend we're getting a system, although not big, should help. The problem with is, that system will be very cold (pixie dust) and will be accompanied with wind.

Tony Crocker":1ey2wv67 said:
Just goes to show the importance of rain events in degrading ski conditions (sorry, icelantic)

only in the very short term most of the time tony, especially up high compared to other areas here. it only takes an inch or so of snow up high with 50-70mph nw winds to blow all of that angry inch down into the lee to cover up any crust. snow's one inch a lot with winds on george. amazing how the skiing improves quickly.

was up high monday skiing in a gully that had a few sub gullies separated by 3-6 ft tall trees sticking up. overnight it snowed just over an inch on nuking nweasterlies and the next day i went up and most all of those trees had been completely covered up. gone.

looks like we may get a couple/few inches sunday/monday. with the right winds, there should be plenty of nice steep surfaces to ski. i hope. :mrgreen:

at least in so nh the corn skiing is fab. had a great tour/turns yesterday down here and will go back out today. wicked deep base here still. always good skiing somewhere in new england...................

rog

Just got back from a Vermont/NH road trip with my better half. MRG Monday (2011-02-14) was spring conditions. Bumps were nice & soft and the snow got a little sticky close to the bottom. They got light fluries up top during the day. Drove over to NH in the late afternoon and the Vermont valleys were getting rain. Got rain in the evening in NH. (N. Lincoln) Tuesday (Attitash) was cold with w 1/2" crust if you got off the corduroy. Wednesday (Bretton Woods) got warmer but the glades never did quite soften up. Thursday (Cannon) was fantastic spring skiing. Soft bumps but the snow seemed to be holding up really well - never got sticky, even at the bottom. Lots of people working on goggle tans at the base. Had planned on Bolton today but chickened out after watching the weather. Went through some very light showers between St. J and Burlington but nothing very heavy or persistent. Snow pack along the roads certainly looked down. Upstate NY though to Ontario was sunny & warm.

Will try and post a full TR with pictures tomorrow.

Adam

admafw":1ffd5q7x said:
Just got back from a Vermont/NH road trip with my better half. MRG Monday (2011-02-14) was spring conditions. Bumps were nice & soft and the snow got a little sticky close to the bottom. They got light fluries up top during the day. Drove over to NH in the late afternoon and the Vermont valleys were getting rain. Got rain in the evening in NH. (N. Lincoln) Tuesday (Attitash) was cold with w 1/2" crust if you got off the corduroy. Wednesday (Bretton Woods) got warmer but the glades never did quite soften up. Thursday (Cannon) was fantastic spring skiing. Soft bumps but the snow seemed to be holding up really well - never got sticky, even at the bottom. Lots of people working on goggle tans at the base. Had planned on Bolton today but chickened out after watching the weather. Went through some very light showers between St. J and Burlington but nothing very heavy or persistent. Snow pack along the roads certainly looked down. Upstate NY though to Ontario was sunny & warm.

sounds like a fun week!

just to point out to tony tho, monday i skied cold pow on washington with only between 2000-2500 of the exit run to the car got just a tad sticky. that rain in lincoln monday night produced 4" of new snow with no crust on mt washington from 2000' on up (2000' is pinkham notch elevation. east of mt washington valleys stayed a full 10 degrees cooler than many northern vermont towns.

my point is that by changing location and elevation sometimes just a bit yields much different weather/snow here.

after a couple of days of spring weather, wildcat picked up 6" overnight. MRG only got 1", and a better shot of snow is expected sun-mon then again on friday.

so this thaw for some areas won't hurt much at all.

to marc c, i meant nwesterlies :mrgreen:

rog

Back