Cascades QC – Racenight February 2, 2011: The Streak is over

Patrick

Links inside this post that be found on Ski Mad World.

After a Winter Fail for the last 2 years and 6 consecutive months of strongly below average snow accumulation. The end of January made it pretty close to normal in term of temperatures and snow. The start of February started on the right foot, 20cm of snow fell during the day and that evening.

Surprisingly enough, the drive didn’t take too long. Maybe some people got scared of potential traffic and used public transit or stayed home? So the drive to Cascades didn’t take much longer than usual. When I got there, I knew where everyone was, they went skiing as I was parked pretty far from the lodge and the hill was heavily tracked up.

We were having a GS tonight, in all this snow. Three hair-raising runs in a course with a narrow slipped tracks which you might eat-it if you drifted out of ‘the’ line. I did on my three runs. If I would get points for air and recovery, I would have placed really well. Once I knew I was out of line, I would sit back to fly off the snowbank near the narrow sideslipped tracked. Less just say, that it might have looked fun, but you don’t win a beer-bet that way. So that streak was over. Like Andy said, we have a skinsuit rule when it’s too cold, we should have a 6 inches rule where we forget about the race and just ski.

Here is the Ottawa Masters’ Prez Race Recap:

We left you all off at the Cascades Snow Bowl. The big debate for Cascade was the weather: Should we stay or should we go. Eric Bouillabaisse was the key in deciding to go for it. I just couldn't live reading another post like: "What? you canceled the race because of snow!" We had 33 racers which was great considering the snow. The commute was nothing, I think everybody went home early leaving the roads to us skiers. Troy set a great course and we all slipped it piling up berms to left and berms to the right. Running it was like being inside a 4' wide bobsled run. It was the most fun I had at a race in years. Rick of Mt Cascade was the highlight of the race. He posted himself at the finish line with big stick and warded off all snowboarders and wayward skiers who dared cross our finish line. He was like the old man next door wielding his rake at all kids who dare cross his grass: "Hey you kids get off my lawn!"

And that what we did afterward. GS skis aren’t the perfect powder skis, Andy and a few other friends had other skis in the cars at the bottom of the World Cup side, my other pair was on the main side. I skied a few runs down Exhibition while some people skied the trackless powder in the unlighted runs next to the main trail. After a few runs, I went back to the main side and took the Quad to ski closer to the car. Unfortunately I skied over I post holding the snowmaking pipe and slightly damaged my skis. Changed skis at the car and up the quad again skied down Facade in some nice loose powder as I looked to head on that old double to ski between the main two faces. Unfortunately it was already closed for the evening, so I headed in. I walked in during the Masters Door prizes, but I wasn’t the only one.

Here are the night tales of the clock: results.

A great evening, first snowstorm in twelve months, the victory beer streak is over, but my skiing months streak is now at 65!!!

January 2011: 53.8cm snow accumulation or 97% of normal. It was the closer thing to a normal month snow wise since December 2010. Average temperature for the month was -10.8c, the same as the average. Hopefully February will be above normal. Anyway this snow is a good start.

All in all, a great night even if I ended up having to pay the beer. My pleasure.

Source: Environment Canada, National Climate Data and Information Archive

Originally posted on Ski Mad World.

Back