Camp Fortune QC : February 23, 2011 – Narrow edges

Patrick

Links inside this post that be found on Ski Mad World.

The slick conditions continued after last Friday thaw and rain.

You needed some sharp edges to compete in tonight’s Ottawa Masters race. It was race #8, fourth slalom of the year and third race at Camp Fortune. Slalom on Slalom was the order of the day.

Forty-Five of us, Adults racers showed up on this beautiful -10c evening. It’s felt colder than that, we must be getting old. The Slalom run doesn’t leave many options to make it challenging as it’s pretty short. The gates were pretty far apart at the start only to tightening to a minimum at the first flush and going it again at the bottom. I shouldn’t be surprised, it was set the same way the last slalom we had here and bonus, I had time in inspect the course before hand.

First run, I was over 4 seconds behind on his 27 seconds run, that’s 15% back. Ouch. What can I say, Bob owns Slalom, literally!!! However Bob, Ron or Ben aren’t my competition. Eric is, and I was ahead by a 0.04 seconds on that first run. The heat was on, head was wandering in the second run and I straddle both gates of the first flush. DNF. Ottawa Master races are the cumulative of the best two out of three runs. Third run, I finished 0.09 behind. I only did an extra run afterward and went in. I was tired and cold. Five run for the evening was enough for me this evening, even if there was some nice loose snow on the side of the course.

When Eric came in, I had his Stella Artois for him. 5 one-hundreds on two runs, that is what I call a narrow edge. A couple of guys asked if we had a beer wager going on this season. “It’s been going on for at least 5 years.” Not sure where I stand since that first beer bet, but I’m still ahead for this season. I believe the count is 4-3 for me. Another narrow edge on an evening of sharp edges or go home.

Here are tonight’s results.

Originally posted on Ski Mad World.

Back