CAUGHT IN A BIG SLIDE 3/1/11

icelanticskier on T4T":uip5jho4 said:
Perhaps it's time for an ABS pack....
For someone who is out there on a regular basis, probably yes. Burial rate in Europe (200 incidents) with ABS deployed is 3%. Last year a Jackson Hole patroller was buried during morning control work within view of 3 other patrollers and died because he was 7 feet down. The incident was analyzed and JH decided to equip all patrollers with ABS packs this season. There were presentations on both of these cases at the International Snow Science Workshop in Squaw Valley last October.

Tony Crocker":145r6gz2 said:
icelanticskier on T4T":145r6gz2 said:
Perhaps it's time for an ABS pack....
For someone who is out there on a regular basis, probably yes. Burial rate in Europe (200 incidents) with ABS deployed is 3%. Last year a Jackson Hole patroller was buried during morning control work within view of 3 other patrollers and died because he was 7 feet down. The incident was analyzed and JH made decided to equip all patrollers with ABS packs this season. There were presentations on both of these cases at the International Snow Science Workshop in Squaw Valley last October.

actually that isn't my quote tony. i have zero interest in an avalung or an airbag. i'll stick with my normal pack and person contents and travel with a newly raised awareness from my experience.

thanx for the kind words guys!

rog

Wow..having just taken a Level 1 course at Alta...this makes it very,very real...Just read the whole thing on the Tux forum.....And I'm planning on being up there in April....going to be in the low angle areas with someone who goes every year...

kingslug":juko5p74 said:
Wow..having just taken a Level 1 course at Alta...this makes it very,very real...Just read the whole thing on the Tux forum.....And I'm planning on being up there in April....going to be in the low angle areas with someone who goes every year...

good read with good input. glad i could share in detail. april can be super stable or super not, like every other month. april can be the worst skiing due to crowds and temps not warm enough to soften for days or weeks.............or raining. good luck! if the skiing's good, i may see you.

The snow forecast for MTW/ summit of Wildcat is starting to look stupendous.

Sunday Night: Snow. Low around 23. Windy, with a south wind 30 to 33 mph decreasing to between 20 and 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.

^^^^^^that said, i'll be up on george mon-wed this week. should be good.

good on ya for taking a course!

rog

Happy you're okay. I saw this on FB first then it was the talk of the NSBS.

Play safe.

Oh yeah, Someone mentioned that you were that mascot of MW too. :mrgreen:

Patrick":1yt7oocj said:
Happy you're okay. I saw this on FB first then it was the talk of the NSBS.

Play safe.

Oh yeah, Someone mentioned that you were that mascot of MW too. :mrgreen:

fb? funny. NSBS? what is that? was up there again today. the skiing absolutely $ucked, but the up was good. headed back up tomorrow. to do way more up and way less down if possible 8-[

thanx for kind words guys.

rog

Just read the tft report. So glad you're OK. As someone who doesn't do that sort of thing, it sure is amazing and scary stuff.

skibum4ever":3vskf6ba said:
Just read the tft report. So glad you're OK. As someone who doesn't do that sort of thing, it sure is amazing and scary stuff.

hey thanx. yup, was quite the learning experience fer sure. now i know 1st hand what it feels like to be inside of a big rumbler. surreal.

skiings been great up high. lots and lots of days. just keeps getting deeper up there. another foot today, 2 feet last week. maybe finally a warm up next week. i've skied just 2 spring snow runs so far this season. looking forward to a good 3 more months.

rog

Back