Cascades QC – Wed March 16, 11 : Daylight saving corn race

Patrick

Links inside this post that be found on Ski Mad World.

Cascades QC – Wed March 16, 2011 : Daylight saving corn race one last night

Where did the season go? Last night have already the eleventh race of the Ottawa Masters‘ season. One last race under the lights before this Saturday’s Final.

Mont Cascades was hosting the final regular slalom on their Exhibition trail.

A great season of ski racing is coming to an end. No cancellation, no rain, no deep freeze and a great turnout on most nights. Plus it would seem that it’s no longer a mostly a guy night’s out.

Temperature in Ottawa was pretty gray today as they was some light drizzle. I had some concern about some showers, but it cleared up for the evening. I found out during the evening by one of my fellow Master competitor mentioned that it was snowing in Chelsea (near Camp Fortune) this morning when he left work. I saw this email in the morning from the Masters’ Prez, so I guess I better go.

Howdy Folks!
The season is oh so short and here we are on the last day of the last regular season wednesday night race of the 2011 season.
So sad. The race is a SL at Cascade, to be set by the infamous Troy. This is a not to be missed race, so get your mojo and get out.

Arriving at Mont Cascades and seeing the hill with it wasn’t dark was weird. Racing on Daylight saving time. It was still bright when we started skiing. I didn’t realized this, but I’ve skipped this race every year since 2005 due to Spring Break. Unfortunately my daughter hurt her knee over one week ago and had her medical appointment tomorrow so we had to forgo our trip to plan trip to Northern Vermont. The only good thing was that I was going to get to ski the slalom at Cascades, especially after missing the last race here due to the Jay Summit.

Although I’ve been under the weather since the weekend, I had a chance to eat supper before I left and was dressed in my skinsuit when I got out the door. I arrived at the Main Lodge and part of the parking lot was flooded, so I was going to be pretty far away from the Lodge and even more far away from the course on the other side. I went to pick up my liftticket with Dominique and heading back to the other side of the mountain. The race side has a small Lodge called the World Cup Lodge with a small parking lot. That is where my daughter race registration was earlier this year and made for a better place to set base. No need to carry jackets, skis, etc.

Race conditions were +3c and corn snow. Troy always set great course at Cascades, not sure if everyone likes them, but I do. As I’m racing down the course, I feel water squirting me in the face at each gate I hit. Probably due to the gates hitting the corn snow at each skier. I had a good first run, however I didn’t much energy afterward. I don’t slower in the second run and DNF in the third. I didn’t have the energy after the first run to hold in the pitch at the top and I was sliding into the corn snowbanks.

I would have love to free ski the corn after the race, but I decide that I was better not as I’m wasted feeling great. I have the Final on Saturday and I want to get better, especially after calling sick for the first two days this week.

I had a good margin after the first run on my betting partner, but my good race was only going to last one run. I was still pretty satisfied of my night. I ended losing the beer bet, but over one second. At 5-4, I'm still ahead of the beer bet for the season, but it's going down to the wire with two races on Saturday. What is even more incredible, having missed only one race and after 10 races each, we are tied in 11th with 220 points each in the Masters' World Cup standings (1st = 100; 2nd = 80, etc). On the overall men standing, Ron had a 5 point lead over Ben, before last night. Ben was a non-show for the first time this season and Ron ran away with the win for 100 points and kept the yellow bid. 105 points with two races on Saturday, Ben can still make if Ron messed up in one race or doesn't show. Can this be any closer?

On the women side, Karine is blowing away the competition even if she missed a few races. After a few years away from the circuit and being busy having kids, she came back to her dominating self.

Here are the night’s results. (links in Ski Mad World)
Results by age group.
Beer Points (skiing according to handicap)(best improvement).
For Overall World Cup Points to Date and Overall World BEER Cup Points to Date see the top of the page here. Last night’s results were official entered yet.

Promises to be a fun Final. Skiing The Chute … after my daughter.

Here is the information on the Masters’ Finals, the Ontario Championships and the Pro Race at Fortune on Sunday.

Finals
You wanted the Chute, I gave the Chute!
Yes folks that’s right, after a long grueling 10 mins of bargaining, we reached a decision and we are racing on Skyline on the Chute!
This does not come for free. We need to go up Friday evening and set up B-net so that everybody is safe and happy.
Please volunteer for the work crew. We will meet at 5:00 Fri on Skyline – Skis on, ready to go to start netting the Chute.
After, we will all retire to Chelseas for Free Beer.
Come on out and help make Saturday the best finals race ever.

Finals Schedule Saturday Mar 19
GS insp 8:30 – 9:15am
first run 9:30
sec run 10:30

lunch 11:30 12:30

SL insp 12:30- 1:00
first run 1:00
2nd run 2:15

Lift Tickets $15.00

Bar and party in The Valley! 3:30 on
But not so fast.
We need all you to help with the tear down. All Gates. All Bnet taken down rolled up and stored in the Bellevedere.
You know what they say about many hands. So lets all dig in and get it done quickly.

Rogers on Site
The Rogers TV Mobile Rolling Truck Stones Thing will be on site to film Our Finals.
How cool is that? Do You think the Torontonians get their finals filmed? Nope
Rocky Mountain? East Coast? New York? Nope. Nope. Nope.
Who else brings you this level of ski racing excitement? Noooo Buddy.

I will need short Bios from you for color commentating. Just the usual would be fine. How long you skied with the Masters, When you started ski racing, age, Favorite event, best race, best finish, awards medals, how many burgers you ate for lunch or breakfast.
If we get nothing, we’ll just make something up. Which will probably be more entertaining than the truth.

Ottawa Masters at the Ontarios
At the Ontario Masters Championships, Ottawa Masters were represented by Chris Moore and Peter Kunstadt. Chris placed first in slalom and became the Ontario slalom Champion, fourth in GS and second overall. Peter had a clean sweep, winning slalom, GS and combination. All together, 5 podiums for two guys from Ottawa at 2011 Ontario Masters Championships, four of them gold.
Not too shabby!
Congrats Pete and Chris

The17th Annual Fortune Cup Dual Slalom Pro Race
Date: Sunday March 20th, 2011
Time: 10:00 AM will be the start of the qualifying rounds
$1,000 for 1st Place
(With a total of $1,500 in prizes to be won)

Prizes will be distributed to the top 8 men and the top 4 women.
Every competitor will be guaranteed at least 2 race runs

Registration: Advance Registration is only $25 (Including lift pass)
call: Francine Drouin at (819) 827-1717 or e-mail fdrouin@campfortune.com
Alternatively you can register until 9:15AM on March 20th at a cost of $35. (Racers under 18 years must have parental signature)

Originally posted on Ski Mad World.

Back