Edelweiss QC – Sunday March 20, 11 : Meltdown or Is it?

Patrick

Log and music video can be found on Ski Mad World.

After the closing of the Masters’ season the previous day at Fortune; today was the closing of the Edelweiss Ski Team season. My local skiing is coming to an end, unless work dictates how I’ll be spending my next 8 weekends. It was “Door Open” day at the joint ski clubs of Edelweiss and La Descente. A fun Dual course on the lower half of the Strief Pitch with a BBQ at finish line.

It was another bright sunny day at the hill with slightly above freezing temps in Ottawa. This was our first family outing in a few weeks. There was always something like a sleepover, birthday party involved in my youngest daughter’s busy social life. My oldest was still sidelined with her knee injury, but came to the hill to see her friends on last time until next season. At least we got some good news this week, her injury was a level 1 ligament strain so she would be okay in a few weeks.

We got a late start and I didn’t bother reorganizing my ski gear so I had my huge gear bag and also brought my old and newer pair of slalom skis, especially with the hard icy snow conditions from the previous day and a possible running of a few gates. My youngest and my wife heading with myself to go skiing as for Steepmomo, she was going to walk out toward Strief.

I remember seeing a clip on an Old Warren Miller movie about family skiing together, fight together. As we were getting off my daughter wanted to ski on a green run, but I wanted to check out the action on Strief. I was vetoed as they wanted to ski as a family. So off on Easy Street we went. At one point my 8 year old daughter had a total meltdown as she complained that her neck was cold (it was 0 celsius with no wind) and wanted to head in to get it. Eventually my wife skied off Zoomer on her own while my daughter had her crisis. We skied down on our own and once at the bottom my wife had the neck warmer/scarf. My daughter now needed to go to the washroom. We skied Zoomer together, but Tara didn’t like it. I eventually made it on Strief. Conditions were still very hard, but didn’t have any problem with my race tuned skis. There was a gathering of people at the bottom of the pitch which is a good walk from the chalet. Steepmomo was hungry so I went in to get our food. I asked Tara to ski behind me on Strief, sometimes it’s just psychological. Streif has a really impressive pitch and when it’s icy, you have to know how to link turns and use your edges. Tara had a bad experience with my wife earlier this season, although she didn’t fall. Once at the pitch, she shadowed me and was great. All in the head sometimes.

The big attraction was one of the coach skiing the coach only in his underwear as he said he would ski the course in a speedo if x amount of skiers placed in the top 15 and on the podium during the Final. He lost. BBQ was so much a success as they ran out of food.

Tara had seen a friend that she made earlier in the season. This girl was the same age and part of the Saturday pre-competition program. She skied down to the chalet on her own to see if she was there (we had seen her earlier). First Tara walked down to the chalet to see if her friend was there then back up to us. She was going to take her skis and to try and join them, unfortunately they were gone. As she was skiing back up the hill, I joined her as we skied in search of her friend. All that walking back and forth with and without skis without one whine. We eventually tagged up with her and meet up with my wife.

I tried the course on Streif twice as my daughter skied with her friend and then went back to join them on Chemin-des-Bois and Zoomer with the girls and their moms. Tara was totally motivated in skiing. No complaints about Zoomer. Her friend apparently wanted to go home prior to seeing Tara. They were dancing to the music blasting at the bottom and the top of the hill. Music I hadn’t heard in years.

I walked in as I saw the kids from the race program and was meet with another meltdown. Morgane wanted to go tubing with the rest of the kids and I said ‘no’. The doc said her knee was doing fine, but had to be careful. I was once with a girl that suffered a bad strain while she were tubing. Not a risk that I wanted my daughter to take. Needless to say, she wasn’t happy. She wanted to go home. She was bored, but of course she didn’t bring anything to read or play with.

So there were a few meltdowns today, but it wasn’t the snow on the hill. The snow was still hard and never really soften up. The place was fairly quiet, I guess people didn’t think that there was still some good skiing to be had (i.e. some people don’t like the corn snow, but I didn’t see corn this weekend). Not many people on the hills, nevertheless Tara meet a friend at the hill and Morgane saw a fellow K2 competitor from another mountain at the Depanneur (Corner Store) in Cantley which used to be in her Irish dancing a long time ago.

Today was outing 47 in the season; 26 at Edelweiss and 41 locally (within 95km). Smashing the previous record of 17 at a same ski area set last year. I did 18 days back in 1979-80 at Tremblant, but that was prior to my record keeping. Another note, I skied 103 times at Edelweiss which is now the same as Tremblant (since 1981). For many years, it looked like that Tremblant was all alone on top, but that was went my season were spread around a bunch of places. Alas, that wasn’t the case this year. Like I said earlier, my local skiing is coming to an end, unless work has something to do with it.

There is still a bunch of snow left, and Monday snow is just a remember that the season is far from over this year…but will people show up?

Originally posted on Ski Mad World.

That's good news on Morgane. How soon can she start rehab to regain strength? When would she be able to ski again? In time for a repeat of last year's end of season in June/July?

Tony Crocker":n5g2pnce said:
When would she be able to ski again?
If all goes well, she should be fine for the end of April. Doc said she was heeling quick. The question is how many days will I be able to get until then if I'm working 6 days week with long days until early May.

Back