Edelweiss QC – February 5-6, 2011 : Déjà Vu!!!

Patrick

Logs can be found on Ski Mad World.

Saturday – Day 26
Somewhat of a déjà vu.

We received close to one foot of new snow on Wednesday, a perfect day to ski at Chilly conditions. Unfortunately I had a previous engagement as a volunteer again on Saturday. Although my daughter wasn’t racing, the club was hosting a K1 (11-12) race on Zoomer. It was a slalom race with mixed gates (full and stubbies).I had to be at Edelweiss at 7:30 to start getting the hill ready. The snow was groomed and so sweet, unfortunately I was at the start area getting things set.

Morgane had been at home sick for the last 3 days; today was her first day out of the house. I managed to get a ride from a fellow Master racer prior to injury and prez of the club early in the morning. Morgane arrived a bit later with the rest of the family. She, and the other K2 kids from the club were the forerunners. Cool. Stayed on the hill near the start area until the first run was over then it was time for get thing ready for the second run. I had a few minutes to eat my sandwich before the forerunners start in the afternoon.

While I was busy on the hill and noticed the new quad was finally running for the first time. Edelweiss opened the famous new used quad open in the late morning and Strief run was open for the first time of the year also. There was a small group and they even had a christening for it. The lift is called, The Streif, like the run. The quad is on the old double line and goes slightly higher than the old double and maybe a few meters higher than the HSQ. After all the race stuff gone, I felt like going out and getting a couple of runs and the smooth snow down Zoomer. I also tried the new quad. It’s pretty slow. Unless there is a crowd, you better take the HSQ. Today I spent close to 8 hours outside for only 7 short runs, so fast or slow lifts, it didn’t make a big difference.

((*
*))
((*

Sunday – Day 27
In trying to change it up today. I skied on 5 different pairs of skis. While Morgane was with the club. I tried a mixte bag of skis, but my favorite ones today, were the Stockli. I could maybe plug the Kunstadt Sports demo day, maybe they could give me a pair.

I also really like my Fischer, which I didn’t have today. I was skiing on my old Atomic SL11. Generally keep the Fischer for the races. Stocki Laser SL @ 160. That was the only pair on demo and it was on the trial bases. I was tried an Kneissl all-mountain and GS and Slalom Elan skis. Unfortunately I tried the Stocki last when it was time to leave. I noticed something regarding the lifts, only the new fixed grip quad and HSQ were running today. Not the other older quad at the other end of the base.

So it was a weekend of Déjà Vu, flakes and a bunch of ski with temps around -2c to 0c. Guess where I’ll be ski racing on Wednesday? Yep, back on Zoomer.

Originally posted on Ski Mad World.

Back