Above Average NE Snowfall?

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
While Jay at 368 inches is only slightly above its normal average, Whiteface is at 247 and Sutton, Quebec is claiming its highest total in 30 years: 275.

Are any other areas reporting in with better than normal YTD snowfall numbers?

rfarren":2cqpslcu said:
Plattekill is reporting 166 inches, although, I'm not sure what their seasonal average is.
166 is a bit below Plattekill's average. Belleayre is around 165. Thus, the Catskills haven't varied significantly from their normal numbers. Whiteface is presently 100 inches above Gore's 150.

That spike at Sutton is significant. It usually gets in the low 200s.

Le Massif is below average. U.S. sites in the Northeast that I track in season are all average or slightly above. So I expect the Northeast final numbers to be above average but not a big season like 2007-08. Subjectively it's better than that due to few destructive rain events compared to most years.

Overall 2010-11in North America is likely to join 2007-08 as one of the top 5 seasons of the past 35 years. 4 of the 8 regions I track are sure to come in at least 120%. There are only a very few areas below average. Taos and Telluride are the only western areas I know about below average.

wildcat is up over 220" where the average is 200"

cannon is up near 250", well above average

canaan valley wv is up to 216" where the average is around 180"

mt washington? below average i'm sure, but skiing with mega deep bases on east side per usual.

rog

I'm actually surprised the Catskills are below normal considering the number of storms that went south this year as opposed to the more northerly route. I would imagine that at least those places in New Jersey and those places in Pennsylvania were above average.

jamesdeluxe":26h1z7gh said:
rfarren":26h1z7gh said:
Plattekill is reporting 166 inches, although, I'm not sure what their seasonal average is.
166 is a bit below Plattekill's average. Belleayre is around 165. Thus, the Catskills haven't varied significantly from their normal numbers. Whiteface is presently 100 inches above Gore's 150.

Yet, these places have a deeper snowpack later into the spring than usual. At least Plattekill does. Cool March, perhaps, is to thank.

marcski":qwvqciel said:
jamesdeluxe":qwvqciel said:
rfarren":qwvqciel said:

Yet, these places have a deeper snowpack later into the spring than usual. At least Plattekill does. Cool March, perhaps, is to thank.
Cool March, and fewer rain events to erode the base have helped.

Tony Crocker":3grv0mol said:
Le Massif is below average. U.S. sites in the Northeast that I track in season are all average or slightly above.
Although they weren't many thaw cycles and I haven't looked at the specifically at numbers, I think that everything north of the St.Lawrence (Gatineau Hills, Laurentians and possibly further East into Quebec City, Charlevoix and behond) has been under par.

Tony Crocker":28aiyxl9 said:
So I expect the Northeast final numbers to be above average but not a big season like 2007-08. Subjectively it's better than that due to few destructive rain events compared to most years.

I'd agree with this, and I don't think it's really all that subjective. The only big rain events that I saw in the Jan-March time frame happened in early March. And both of them ended with significant snowfall of 20+ and 10+ inches. The consistency of the cold was far more unusual than the snowfall totals in the Southern Adks for sure.

I spoke to Riverc0il last weekend about Cannon's posted number of 240+ inches and he called :bs: on it.

icelanticskier":fm3ubn3s said:
cannon is up near 250", well above average
I am calling BS on Cannon. I swear they either changed their measurement location, changed how they measure, or grew a longer ruler. 250" at Cannon would be at least second best season ever if not their very highest ever recorded. 07-08 I believe was second most ever at the time. Granted, I have only had about five Cannon days this season but I just didn't see evidence of 250" when I was last there two weekends ago. I could be wrong but something seems off with that stat. Base depths should be much deeper, especially considering how little rain and thaw activity we have seen this winter...

Thanks for the heads up on Cannon. I have sort of assumed that marketing numbers posted on the website are not the same as get from patrol at the end of the year. I'll have to check that out for the past few years when I get home the end of this week.

Tony Crocker":2mxnu5vp said:
Thanks for the heads up on Cannon. I have sort of assumed that marketing numbers posted on the website are not the same as get from patrol at the end of the year. I'll have to check that out for the past few years when I get home the end of this week.
If you get non-official numbers from patrol, I would VERY MUCH like to see them to either confirm my hypothesis or get some egg on my face.

Back