Plattekill October 30, 2011

agggggggggggg$%^&&**(()) would have been there if they posted it on their website and not just $$%^^&&**(( facebook..enough with facebook..some of us don't run our lives by it...

Decision was not made until 11:30 last night, although Laz tweeted on Friday that if they got 12+ he would go for it.

We were actually hoping he wouldn't run them so we could have it to.ourselves. But as it was only 15 skiers showed up. Worked out pretty well.

nice to see some folks getting after it , looked like a nice day. not alot of people on the chair either. that was kind of like your own private chair

Glad you got at it!

Was it really "powdery" or was it more like mashed potatoes? Looks like it might've been a bit heavy.

I heard that Harvey was there on the FTO news, but he has not said a word on his website. Harv, what's up?

Wasn't trying to imply that it was private. I'm personally in favor of a "crowd" at Plattekill. We've worked to get the word out about the great skiing in Roxbury.

I explained this on NSmountainsports but will repost for those who didn't see it.

No one is more frustrated with the plattekill.com website than Danielle. Without getting into the details of how the CMS works (or doesn't), it boils down to this - all changes to the site have to go through the webmaster, who turns things around in about 3 days. For a weekend only mountain this is a crushing liability.

That's why they are pushing it out on FB and Twitter. Right now it's the only way. The call to open was made around 11pm Sat night so there was no way to get it up on the site by opening on Sunday.

The company I work for has expertise in web development and we are consulting with Plattekill on a site upgrade. While the execution is out of our hands, we're optimistic that the end result will be a big improvement.

Had a great day at Plattekill yesterday. As expected cover was thin, and Powderqueen is right - the snow was challenging.

I skied with a crew of total rippers. The oldest kid was 25 years younger than me. It was a BLAST.

Our report was posted late because power and internet have been out for days in the flatlands. I posted the first part at noon on Monday:

Opening Day at Plattekill 2011

tBatt.jpg

9+-+ML242.jpg

Harv,

That first shot = Money!

But then, who normally carries a 5D mk II around to Plattekill? :lol:

EMSC":178kmstp said:
But then, who normally carries a 5D mk II around to Plattekill? :lol:

Clearly not me, as I don't even know what it is. (A fancy camera?)

The first picture was actually taken by the ripper in the second shot - ml242.

Trying something a little different this year. Worked out a few trades - ski passes for reporting. Hickory, Big Tupper deals are done. Hunter, Tuxedo Ridge are possible. I have a feeling it will be a little like herding cats trying to manage the blog postings, but I'm pretty excited about it.

ml242 is a real asset and a fantastic guy. He and I worked together a bit at the end of last season. He's a great skier, and has no problem hucking boulders with a big digital SLR around his neck. He can shoot and write, and he's got a great attitude. He lives in the city so it will be a different perspective from all of us suburban old farts. Another very cool thing - he helped us promote a benefit for the Catskills Irene Relief at a microbrewery in Brooklyn.

Yeah the Canon 5D mk II is a big honking 21 mega pixel full frame DSLR that even today, a couple years after release, goes for ~$2,400 new for just the body (without any lenses).

EMSC":f1lxqk9t said:
Yeah the Canon 5D mk II is a big honking 21 mega pixel full frame DSLR that even today, a couple years after release, goes for ~$2,400 new for just the body (without any lenses).
One of the better professional DSLRs on the market, despite now being 3 years old. Canon introduced the EOS 5D Mark II in 2008. In part because of it's full frame sensor, it became widely embraced by independent filmmakers because of its ability to take full high-definition video at the 1920-by-1080 pixel resolution (ie: 1080p). The Mark II was used in the final episode of the last season of Fox's television show "House M.D.," as well as in the car racing scenes of "Iron Man 2" and certain scenes in "Captain America: The First Avenger".

Back