Mt Ste.Anne, QC - April 23, 2005 - early December skiing!!!

Patrick

What a beautiful day :!: :!: :!:

It didn't start off that way, unless you're a duck. Forecast, rain, rain, heavy rain at times, rain. Leaving from Montreal in the pouring rain, raining all the way to MSA (3 hours drive). The parking lot was virtually deserted at 10:30am, 20 cars under the pouring rain.

Geez :? , my stuff was barely dry from the last time I skied in the rain (MRG on April 2th). The snow report called for 29 trails open (most of the sleeper - bump south side runs were on hold). Skiing the south side would've brought a more or less long walk in the rain back to the gondola. I am not sure they ever soften up to be opened. Hard to see, the top of the mountain was covered in a dark cloud.

Surprise, Surprise. It was snowing on top, not wet snow, winter snow. :p Most of the runs on the North side are shorter and groomers. The skiing was typical great early december skiing. Slightly below freezing temps, dark, frozen base covered with 2 or 3 inches of fluff. As the day went by, the snow started falling harder. It's was fresh tracks every runs.

Unfortunately :cry: , they advanced the lift closure to 3pm (instead of 3:30). No use running a lift for a few of us diehards. The last run of the day was done on the south side, I tried to find my way to see what was opened, however it was a total white-out on top. Once I got in mid-mountain, it's was pouring rain and you can tell by the wet snow on the trail that it didn't snow here all day. Back to the car, I was very wet, but very happy.

I have had a similar trip in desert fresh tracks days when it's raining all over. Among the most memorable, I would included some April visit to Sugarbush (late), Cannon (early) or Sunday River (May 1st?).

Ste.Anne is closed midweek, but will open for a last Hourrah next weekend. 8)

Back