Edelweiss-Fortune : 10-11 Jan, 12 : train, race, pass-out

Just read your report , good thing you went to the hospital , always good to check these thing out . Believe me know what it's like chasing snow and working full time with kids .

Anthony":3aa99fma said:
Just read your report , good thing you went to the hospital , always good to check these thing out . Believe me know what it's like chasing snow and working full time with kids .

Anxiety level was pretty heading to the hill today. Was I going to experience shortness of breath? Blackout? Rapid Heart rate or high BP? Everything went fine. True I didn't push it... the only bad thing was that I froozed my toes. Seeing my family doctor tomorrow.

skibum4ever":1tiwwzd0 said:
Hey Patrick, what's up with that? Take it easy and listen to the doc (like I always do!) 8-[

Hi Barbara.

The doc appointment was totally useless. She didn't say anything, but read off the numbers from my night at the Hospital. No suggestion, no nothing. Nothing to listen, like nothing happened. She was also aware that I have going to have referred for tests at the Heart Institute in the next two weeks.

Does anyone know of a good Family Doctor in Ottawa that accepts new patients? :-o

Patrick":1g6pcm5v said:
Does anyone know of a good Family Doctor in Ottawa that accepts new patients?
There were 2 young docs from Ottawa at Mustang, but they were anesthesiologists. They commented some on Canadian healthcare, said it varies a lot by province, best in Alberta and Ontario. They said Quebec is the worst, in line with admin's observation a few years ago. They said Mt. Tremblant has no emergency heli evac capacity, which might have saved Natasha Richardson. This was a shock, considering that CWHappyRN as a ski patroller was able to raise enough of a stink once to get a kid with a ruptured spleen heli evacuated from Mt. Baldy. I also saw a heli evac from the Mt. Olympus club field in New Zealand.

Tony Crocker":hg4nhzcv said:
They commented some on Canadian healthcare, said it varies a lot by province, best in Alberta and Ontario. They said Quebec is the worst, in line with admin's observation a few years ago.

I know that Quebec isn't as good as Ontario on a few factor, however not sure the gap is so wide. You have to take into account about certain people generally have an unbiased view of Quebec due to the political situation (historical or current). Alberta at the same level as Ontario? This one is surprising from what I heard a few times.

I did a quick goggle...here is the first thing I found on Which Provinces Deliver the Best Healthcare? Here are a few quotes...

In our study, Ontario emerges as the clear winner
(...)
British Columbia and Nova Scotia place second and third respectively, with only a slim margin separating them
(...)

Clustered at the bottom of the Index are Newfoundland at tenth place, followed by Saskatchewan, Quebec and Manitoba. Just as the top performers arrived at their scores by different means, so do these four provinces have their own weaknesses, as well as some strengths.
(...)
Quebec has the worst score for outcomes and primary care in the country, but has the best performance in Canada for waiting times.
(...)
Alberta, while lying in the middle of the field for overall performance, falls to eighth in terms of value for money, simply because it spends the greatest amount on healthcare per capita but gets relatively little for it. As a percentage of GDP, wealthy Alberta spends fairly little, but in absolute terms the province has the most lavish health budget per capita, with no corresponding increase in quality.

We also found a relationship between spending and waiting times. The three provinces with the worst waiting time scores, Manitoba, Alberta and Saskatchewan, all spend significantly more than the national average, while the three provinces that do the best on waiting times, Quebec, PEI and Nova Scotia, all spend less than the average, significantly less in the case of PEI and Quebec. These results should make it clear that a province’s ability to provide timely consultations, diagnoses and treatments is not dependent upon its ability to spend huge amounts of money on healthcare.

http://www.fcpp.org/publication.php/2366

They said Mt. Tremblant has no emergency heli evac capacity, which might have saved Natasha Richardson.

If I remember currently, she declined help and thought she would be okay, no? I'm curious, how many Eastern ski areas would have heli evac capacity? What are we talking about when we talk about heli evac capacity? A helipad at the resort?

Patrick":3vzadt49 said:
I'm curious, how many Eastern ski areas would have heli evac capacity? What are we talking about when we talk about heli evac capacity? A helipad at the resort?

No, it refers to the ski area being within the operating perimeter of a helicopter ambulance service. Believe it or not, we even had it at a place as remote as Jay Peak by the mid-90s. In fact, the whole point behind an air ambulance is to access remote areas where it would take too long to get to a Level 1 or 2 Trauma Center. I'd reckon that most of the U.S. is now covered by a service.

Admin":383adrd7 said:
Patrick":383adrd7 said:
I'm curious, how many Eastern ski areas would have heli evac capacity? What are we talking about when we talk about heli evac capacity? A helipad at the resort?

No, it refers to the ski area being within the operating perimeter of a helicopter ambulance service. Believe it or not, we even had it at a place as remote as Jay Peak by the mid-90s. In fact, the whole point behind an air ambulance is to access remote areas where it would take too long to get to a Level 1 or 2 Trauma Center. I'd reckon that most of the U.S. is now covered by a service.

Thanks...I'm googling a lot tonight. Looks like Quebec doesn't have a heli service at all (there is a private service for customer according to the article). It does have a Challenge Jet service, but only for long distances (I imagine we are talking remore Northern Quebec, etc.).

Quebec is the only province that doesn't have a network of helicopter air ambulances in place.

http://www.thestar.com/article/605345

There is a private service (also mentioned in the Star story:

http://www.airmedic.net/index.php?lang= ... e=1&alias=

Back