Discovery, MT, Mar. 1, 2015

When Tony Crocker and I visited Discovery and started this thread, we barely got a room in Pburg. We could have saved ourselves the drama plus a few miles of driving and $ by staying in Anaconda. But we would have missed the charm of Phillipsburg which received a Sunset Travel Award for best municipal makeover/reinvention. See http://www.sunset.com/travel/sunset-tra ... invention# and http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-re ... 9d07e.html

Before they get too swollen of a head, they should also see that Park City was picked as best ski destination, beating out Jackson Hole, Steamboat and Whistler base on "offering a consummate winter experience with terrific slopes that beckon both skiers and boarders of all skill levels, superb lodging, enviable après-ski activities, and standout food". See http://www.sunset.com/travel/sunset-tra ... s-ski-town where they went a little too far saying "this is the place to go for perfect powder".

tseeb":1tudixb4 said:
We could have saved ourselves the drama plus a few miles of driving and $ by staying in Anaconda.
After reading q's reports over the years, we really weren't going to come that close and NOT stay in Philipsburg if possible. It was a somewhat close call, as it was a Saturday night and I had no idea that Philipsburg's population is only 850!

Anaconda has a pretty poor reputation from what I gather but the few bars I've been in are ok. The Harp is owned by a guy that skis a lot at Discovery and they give you your 2nd beer free with a Disco lift ticket. Certainly seems to be plenty lodging options when I drive through town.

There would certainly be lots more lodging options in Anaconda but for a short term visitor I'd always recommend Philipsburg. I'm surprised that at worst you would not have got a room at http://www.theinn-philipsburg.com/ for a night, never looks all that busy. The house I stay at is up the back of there. There is also rooms at the 7 Gables at the end of the ski hill road and http://brownderbyinn.com

It wasn't that much drama. We stayed at the Broadway Hotel next to the brewpub, calling ahead about half an hour. It was mostly full, but I'm sure places not in the middle of town would have had good availability.

I'm doing a Tony Crocker and shooting from the hip from 6000 miles.....

First off I'm not 100% sure when they plan on having the road open, my understanding is that the road itself is there as they use it during the summer for the bike park which uses the Silver Chief lift. My understanding is that it needs widening, gaurd rails etc before it can be used during winter and there probably needs to be some thought about parking and ticketing.

Anyway, what I will say is this. As a visitor to the area I am not sure the road and plans are viable and will bring all that much more customers to the area.

My reasoning is that in all my trips to Discovery I have found that Flint Creek Pass, which is effectively what they are cutting out the need to go over, is extremely well looked after and although I can imagine on occasion it being a little sketchy I doubt there are many times a season where it is impassable(save for the occasional slide from the rock face). I have seen the access road from the 7 Gables to the hill a little on the slick side but your driving to a ski hill so surely you expect that. So in terms of getting to the mountain I don't see the extra drive from Philipsburg around the pass to the main lodge as being that big a deal more if I had driven say from Missoula for the day. 20 minutes from my door in Philipsburg to the ski hill, would I really worry about saving 5-10 minutes?

However, this is where my opinion probably is a little different to the average person skiing at Discovery. I ski at Discovery for one real reason(apart from friends etc) and that is Limelight. If Limelight was not there I would not be all that fussed about the place. So, I drive for 20 minutes up over the pass, I park within 20 yards of the lift, I get my pass and can be on the lift at 9.45am for rope drop into Limelight terrain at 10am. I ski hard til Limelight closes at 3.45 and then ski to the 350 Club for a whisky before heading home. I can stop at the 7 Gables with people I know coming from Butte and Missoula etc. I can head down to Anaconda for my free beer with friends in the Harp if I feel like it.

Now if this new road was in. To get to the same terrain I ski is now 2 chair rides away. Both pretty long and slow. I'd estimate 20-25 minutes total and no meaningful turns getting between lifts. For me thats not a great trade off. Now the biggest issue they have is what happens at night. Silver Chief rarely opens at the best of times and come March I have seen it spinning a couple of weekends in the last 3-4 years. The terrain is pretty flat and boring but has really low coverage. So I believe they are going to need to seriously get snow blowing in that area to make it a viable alternative to the main lodge or otherwise you would be downloading on the chair which for me is not something I would ever do if there was an alternative. Maybe it will only be used weekends during peak months which seems most likely in the current climate. There was talk of real estate and such like but those days for now are gone IMO.

Local people disagree with me in terms of the numbers. I'm hugely skeptical that a road bypassing Flint Creek Pass will bring in the volumes of "new" customers they think will come with the new road. I personally think they will pickup a few with the majority of people utilizing the road being existing regular visitors who are simply changing habits. Yes that will take away weekend traffic to the main parking area which I am told can be pretty bad during pow weekends in Feb, with a potential lodge down in the new base again taking traffic away from a bursting main lodge.

I don't see the road as an improvement, I don't see the terrain down there as an improvement, I'm skeptical of the impact it will make and feel sure that in 5 years or 10 years time I am not going to be fighting for my space with 100s or 1000s more people at Discovery.

All valid points q, especially the need to take 2 lifts to get to Limelight, which is the only reason to go to Disco. It is my understanding that Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks does not want the road open in the winter because it goes through elk winter range.

I have skied one day lifetime at Discovery but I think q is completely on point. The existing road is no big deal at all. And where do Discovery's customers come from? I'd hazard a guess many come from Butte (which has no close by ski hill), where the existing road is closer. The Missoula people have Snowbowl much closer, though with Snowbowl's horrible exposure I'd make the longer trek to Discovery most of the time in February/March.

Grizzly has great groomer skiing, but last March 1 could see that Forest Chief was not even close to being skiable. Discovery has no snowmaking now, and with 60K visits I wouldn't be eager to shell out those $$$ to make Forest Chief skiable if I were running Discovery. For a place with that kind of volume Discovery appears to me to be run remarkably well as it is now. If it's not broken, don't try to fix it.

coldsmoke":2ushjyp0 said:
All valid points q, especially the need to take 2 lifts to get to Limelight, which is the only reason to go to Disco. It is my understanding that Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks does not want the road open in the winter because it goes through elk winter range.

I may be wrong but I was sure I read in the Pburg mail that they had overcome that hurdle but that is merely from a hazy memory. Seem to remember it being an article about the new bike park that mentioned it.

In terms of where the people come from, I can only go with what I see on the roads and the people I know up on the hill I guess.

I would say driving the road I see little traffic from Missoula ahead and behind me each day yet often get to the turnoff with a number of cars coming from Anaconda. At night most people seem to head toward Butte/Anaconda. Most of the people I meet and ski with come from Pburg, Butte and Anaconda with a smattering of people from Missoula and Helena. Quite a few of the midweek regulars are from Butte and also Georgetown Lake itself.

The Sunshine Station with its free drink deal sees a fair few visitors each day. Most in the bar are locals with a few unknown to me faces.

I skied Silver Chief once in mid March one year(just to say I'd done it) and it did really just have a feel of a lift that was for access. However I am told that a few of the regular Limelight crew ski out of bounds from the top of Winning Ridge down to Silver Chief. I've done that as far as you can before hitting the boundary to get back to the bottom of Granite on many occasions which is decent fun although very rocky underneath. I'm not sure that if it was actually worth being out there that I wouldnt just be skiing Limelight anyway and down below that cutoff the small trees and debris looks horrific so not sure id want to go further.

Discovery run a very well organised and tight ship in my opinion, hopefully whatever transpires down the road works for them and does not detract from what I and others love about the place.

When JSpin was living in Montana, we were discussing the varied ski areas and I was curious about the city populations. Billings is the only city over 100K and most of ones we've heard of are in the 50-100K range. When I look at a map of the state, cities and ski areas, it seems logical that Butte would be the source of a plurality of Discovery's skiers. q always talks about Phillipsburg's skiers so I was blown away driving into town and seeing that population was only ~800.

Missoula has 70K population, Butte and Helena combined about 80K. I don't know how Helena's local area Great Divide compares to Snowbowl or Discovery.

FYI Montana Snowbowl Saturday Feb.4, 2012 was far busier than Discovery Sunday Mar. 1, 2015. Anyone know what Snowbowl's annual skier visits are? One of those newspaper reports said Snowbowl and Discovery visits are similar. I got the 60K visits for Discovery from someone in their office when I was there.

Yeah, pretty small cities for sure. Butte is positioned in such a way that some friends have passes for both Discovery and also Bridger although my buddy Jim I believe barely used his Bridger one last winter and not convinced he will renew it this coming winter.

I always have the impression that Snowbowl is busier but thats probably down to the small lodge, 1 lift from the base and 1 other meaningful lift, both of which are slow doubles. It seems to pick up a lot of afternoon visitors and students due to its proximity to Missoula. Weekends I would not really want to be there. Discovery for certain on comparable conditions are always noticeably busier on Saturdays than Sundays. This season we were barely busier on the weekends than during what I would class as a normal season midweek day.

Great Divide is a fun place. Nothing technically challenging but a helleva lot of trails and I've had a few spring days there when things are slowing down and its just fun. Great Divide

Then there is Maverick Mountain down by Polaris. One chair top to bottom, reasonable pitch. They pickup trade from Dillon and I assume potentially Butte also. Maverick

Then there is Lost Trail which you guys have read about on here, Showdown up towards Great Falls, Teton Pass up by Choteau which would also presumably pickup some Great Falls people. Then there are others which pickup trade from the other cities around the state. The only one I have yet to ski in the state is Turner which is up by Libby. Tough to fit into a plan with it being open Fri-Sun only. The closest I got one year was sitting in the lodge at Blacktail checking emails and such like when I noticed they were not open the following day so I changed plans and headed home to Philipsburg. A friend back home noticed my Facebook status on the matter and having spent time up in Whitefish actually knew the people who had rented the entire mountain on the Friday. He made contact with them and they were "tell him to just come and he can ski with us". Sadly by the time I received his message I was long gone. This year I aim to ski there though as I am out a week or so earlier in the season!

Snowbowl and Bridger are very crowded on powder days and most of the mountain gets tracked out in an hour with 15,000 University students a half hour away. In contrast, I have been to many mid-week powder days at Discovery with 15 people skiing Limelight. Saturdays though can be very busy.

It's hard to get too excited for the upcoming winter in the Northern Rockies with forecasts like this from NOAA, which seem to get more accurate every year. This one is for Jan.-March.

off05_prcp.gif

I've skied 8 days straight at Disco.

We've had car crashes, backs out, pow, spring, pow, hardpack, pow. You name it. I've walked onto Limelight almost every time without more than 2-4 people in front. Last weekend you couldn't move in the lots, but the stuff worth skiing was deserted.

Skied today with 3" new and scored first tracks in Presidents, the end chute in Neversweat and Russell's twice before anyone else went to East bowl.

Sunday night into Monday is looking way more promising with cold temps all next week.

6-10" tomorrow 1 tonight and 1-3" tomorrow night. After missing last week's 14" Day I might just get my deserts.

Today I skied Limelight in chalky easy edge after 2 days of 60 degrees in town. I saw 1 snowboarder and 1 patroller.

Back