Heartland/Black Hills Road Trip, Apr. 28 - May 7, 2015

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
We flew to Denver and skied the beginning and ending weekends of a 2+ week trip. In between we hit the road for several places we had never been before. After skiing A-Basin 4/27 we got almost to the Kansas border and visited the Old Town Museum in Burlington the next morning. We spent the next two nights with Liz' relatives in Lindsborg, a Kansas town settled by Swedes which retains much of its original Swedish character. On April 30 we visited the Eisenhower Presidential Library in Abilene on the way to Omaha. The weekend of May 1-3 we were at the Berkshire-Hathaway annual meeting.
Berkshire1.jpg

We drove through Nebraska's Sand Hills May 3-4, almost entirely within the August 2017 eclipse path. At Alliance we turned north and soon arrived at Carhenge.
IMG_1754.JPG

Liz could relate to the graffiti on this car.
IMG_1760.JPG

Our first stop in the Black Hills of South Dakota was the Mammoth Site.
IMG_1769.JPG

Over 60 mammoth skeletons have been found in this former sinkhole. The museum was built over the excavation site, leaving some of the bones in place.

Our next stop was Wind Cave National Park, where this is the only natural opening.
IMG_1776.JPG

An airlock entry for tours has been built. Wind Cave's claim to fame is the boxwork ceiling formations like this one.
IMG_1795.JPG

This can occur only when a cave is gradually flooded from below, dissolving the limestone rock and leaving thin calcite strips behind.

May 5 we went to Mt. Rushmore.
IMG_1847a.jpg

IMG_1860.JPG

An hour later we got a longer distance perspective.
IMG_1887a.jpg

Some Black Hills wildlife:
IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1892.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

As mountains go, most of the Black Hills are gentle rolling hills. But the granite Needles are more impressive.
IMG_1905a.jpg

Despite threatening weather, we took a short hike for closer views.
IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1916.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1921.JPG

IMG_1920.JPG

Driving out.
IMG_1940.JPG

May 6-7 were mostly rainy. We visited the Crazy Horse Memorial which has quite bit of Native American exhibits and art inside. There is an ambitious project to carve a huge sculpture into the mountain. View out the window with model sculpture inside.
IMG_1943a.jpg

During a sunny break we went outside for a better view.
IMG_1951.JPG

On the morning of May 7 we visited Jewel Cave National Monument. In Jewel Cave the stubbly calcite deposits are found on many surfaces.
IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

There are occasional formations, like this thin soda straw column.
IMG_2006.JPG

And this thin "bacon" strip, backlit for better viewing.
IMG_2024.JPG

Some varied colors of the calcite deposits.
IMG_2008.JPG

IMG_2038.JPG

Jewel Cave has 177 miles of explored passages. Both Wind Cave and Jewel Cave have narrow openings to the outside where wind blows vigorously with changes in atmospheric pressure. From the wind strength researchers believe that unexplored passages are even more extensive.

jamesdeluxe":3grlmmeo said:
Admin":3grlmmeo said:
And you whine to me about my late TRs?
Sez the guy who went dark for almost two months mid-season last winter. [emoji38]
Did not! That's a myth. Scroll through the western forums and you'll see that I posted consistently.

Admin's longest "dark period" on this Forum was Aug. 11 - Sept. 15. The longest "dark period" during ski season was Mar. 31 - Apr. 15. The Apr. 15 TR encompassed 6 ski days during the first half of April.

During both dark periods admin posted timely TR's (skiing in April, hikes etc. in summer) on Facebook. :stir:

Tony Crocker":er26pqgb said:
Admin's longest "dark period" on this Forum was Aug. 11 - Sept. 15. The longest "dark period" during ski season was Mar. 31 - Apr. 15. The Apr. 15 TR encompassed 6 ski days during the first half of April.

During both dark periods admin posted timely TR's (skiing in April, hikes etc. in summer) on Facebook. :stir:
That's your controversy? <snore>

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Tony Crocker":15wkvr5a said:

Once again, Tony seems overly fascinated with the posting habits of others.

Admin":odtge6ge said:
Did not! That's a myth. Scroll through the western forums and you'll see that I posted consistently.

It was the news that went dark for about 7 1/2 months beginning in early Feb. Looks good now.

Marc_C":19nenvbf said:
Tony Crocker":19nenvbf said:

Once again, Tony seems overly fascinated with the posting habits of others.

Inexplicably so, I might add.

tseeb":19nenvbf said:
It was the news that went dark for about 7 1/2 months beginning in early Feb.

Of course! But that wasn't what one Mr. Deluxe was accusing me of.

Man, we better start getting some western winter weather soon. I need better posts to read than these :snowball fight:

At least snowmaking weather shows up this week in Colo (despite the news articles, each resort has made all of 1 night's worth of slop thus far - well Copper might have been 2 nights of slopmaking so far).

Back