Alta, UT 3/4/12

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 45: Sun 'n fun, but oh my God the crowds! And a horrible day for a road closure.

44" of new snow in 3 days this week combined with a sunny, warm springlike day to draw the hordes to the mountains on Sunday. I've honestly not seen Alta as crowded as it was yesterday. At 2:30 pm I stood atop Corkscrew and all along the road from E gate to the gate at the Summer Road there wasn't an empty spot in the entire town of Alta that wasn't occupied by a car.

Lift lines were intense. At one point mid-morning the Collins line snaked back to the power transformer, made a 180 and became entangled with the Wildcat line. Crazy stuff.

2012-03-04 10.47.55.jpg

I wasn't as annoyed as I'd normally be, however, for I was spending a lazy day enjoying the sun and snow with the Mrs. When the lunch crowds became too much to bear we grabbed a sandwich to go and headed for a picnic in a secluded spot up behind Cecret.

IMG_2684.JPG

IMG_2685.JPG

When that aforementioned line appeared at Collins and Wildcat we just took the rope tow to Sunnyside to access Supreme. When that line grew we merely went back to Sugarloaf. It was doable if you were flexible.

IMG_2688.JPG

Then at 12:15pm word appeared that the road closed due to avalanche activity with no anticipated reopening time. Folks were stuck. News helicopters flew over to film. Beer sales went through the roof. While the road reopened at 4 pm they held traffic in Alta while they emptied Snowbird first. That meant that we didn't get moving out of the Wildcat parking lot until 5:15pm. While common courtesy generally prevailed tempers occasionally flared.

2012-03-04 16.39.37.jpg

The authorities' plan to empty Snowbird first, however, turned out to be a good move, and once down the Bypass Road and through Snowbird Entry 4 traffic flowed well down the canyon. We got home at 6:15pm sporting solid sun tans.

and yes a couple more from yesterdays mayhem !!!!!!!!
IMG_0507.JPG
this picture really doesn't exemplify the day as far as crowd, but what you see as far as blue sky only got deeper blue from the summits of alta and snowbird.
IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0512.JPG
where i had parked in the morning had some visitors from toronto parked in the space beside me - never been here before didn't have a clue to why the road was closed until i informed them of avy danger and how dangeeeerrrrrous it was , (what a way to increase alcohol sales huh) capture the audience and don't let anyone leave until every bit is sold !!!!!!!!

And I was contemplating flying from Montana to SLC..but they wanted $780.00..to fly 370 friggin miles..hell I could have taken a bus...

Biggest crowd I have seen in Utah since George W. Bush did the book signing at the CostCo.

Oh wait, I didn't go to that.

Last run of the day doesn't look so crowded from here
superior last run.jpg

Making the best of being " stuck" on a sunny day in LCC
deck at GMD.jpg

Back