Alta, UT 4/8/12

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 59: Happy Easter!

IMG_3108.JPG

I awoke to find this on my couch this morning, out cold:

2012-04-08 07.34.59.jpg

Bobby Danger, AmyZ and I were joined this morning by AndreB, founder of the now nearly infamous corn snow thread, and his wife Julie visiting from Buffalo. It was a gorgeous, cloudless Easter morning and warming fast.

Following a few warm-up cruisers it seemed that Backside might be ready, so on our fourth run we cruised over to Germania Pass to pick up Telejon for a hike up to High Notch. Bobby Danger was on his own agenda and opted to hike Baldy to go check out Little Chute. He took my camera along.

IMG_3096.JPG

IMG_3100.JPG

IMG_3103.JPG

A big thank you to ASP. When we saw the gate to High Notch closed I inquired of a passing patroller, who went into the Germania patrol shack to inquire himself before re-emerging and graciously opening the gate for us. As far as snow quality goes, this was the run of the day, at least as far down as the Instructor's Traverse. High Notch proper held amazingly deep, soft, dry untracked and loosely tracked snow. Big smiles all around.

AndreB rejoined Julie for a few cruisers to conserve energy for the afternoon. AmyZ, Telejon and I went into Baldy Brews for a latté and we were rejoined by Bobby Danger who had glowing reports from Little Chute. That cemented it: we were hiking Baldy after lunch.

IMG_3109.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

IMG_3114.JPG

We lingered around the summit of Baldy for a while to take in the views and enjoy a gorgeous spring day before heading over to Main Chute.

IMG_3119.JPG

The snow in the chute was firm, but very winter-like. Soft chalk would shave off with every turn but you really, really didn't want to biff as self-arresting would've been a challenge, at best.

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3172.JPG

IMG_3196.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

Waiting for us on the apron down below were Skidog, Marc_C, and Marc's friends Mike and Jean. The latter three had done Main themselves a bit earlier in the day.

By now it was 3:00, and time to head home to get ready for Easter dinner, and I now need to get back to the preparations. Hope everyone's had a joyous holiday today.

And nice meeting you today, AndreB and Julie. Hope that you enjoyed the locals tour!

Thank you very much Admin. Julie and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and I'm really glad you talked me into doing Main chute. I'll post a little report later tomorrow when I have some time. Thank you again, it was a great day.

Bobby D always picks the "best " spot to jump in...nice shots! the Pipeline one is my new desktop...inspiration for next season...

From the angle of camera it seems like Main Chute turns off right towards the bottom, is that correct? I always thought it was a straight shot down into ballroom.

It's nearly straight with an ever so slight bend to the right.

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk

Admin":28v57b3m said:
It's nearly straight with an ever so slight bend to the right.

So if you fall on the skiers right of the chute is it a fast ride down to ballroom or are you going to make friends with some rocks?

You're more or less on the express train to Ballroom.

kingslug":1qy77xsb said:
Well we know someone with that experience on a steeper narrower run...
You mean the patroler who blew one of her early turns in Little and tumbled the full 900', breaking her pelvis?

I consider all the Baldy chutes as a serious do not fall/DFU zone. While one could conceivably slide down Main all the way to the Ballroom, the chances of tumbling are extremely high, and if you tumble, the chances of doing so cleanly and not hitting one of the walls at high speed are fairly low. If you seriously think you might fall attempting one of the chutes, then it's probably a good idea to not go up there until your ability is ready.

MarcC":20etxxp9 said:
I consider all the Baldy chutes as a serious do not fall/DFU zone. While one could conceivably slide down Main all the way to the Ballroom, the chances of tumbling are extremely high, and if you tumble, the chances of doing so cleanly and not hitting one of the walls at high speed are fairly low. If you seriously think you might fall attempting one of the chutes, then it's probably a good idea to not go up there until your ability is ready.
+1 There are quite a few runs lift accessible and inbounds at several ski areas that are as steep as Main at the top, but typically 10 turns down they open up and/or mellow out. Main sustains its average 41 degrees (per Google Earth) for a full 700 vertical, so if you fall anywhere you are probably going to end up in Ballroom, possibly bouncing off a few walls on the way down.

Marc_C":1e4etti9 said:
kingslug":1e4etti9 said:
Well we know someone with that experience on a steeper narrower run...
You mean the patroler who blew one of her early turns in Little and tumbled the full 900', breaking her pelvis?

Nope..another..might not want to talk about it online though...I liked Main but DID not like Little..way too narrow...

Admin":21cj0tlj said:
You're more or less on the express train to Ballroom.

I like that imagery. :)
Tony Crocker":21cj0tlj said:
There are quite a few runs lift accessible and inbounds at several ski areas that are as steep as Main at the top, but typically 10 turns down they open up and/or mellow out.

Highboy?

I think that entrance at the top of Main is pretty steep, it seems steeper than 41 degrees. However, it doesn't seem to narrow. I remember that "little" has a dogleg right, and that there is pretty tight choke point a ways down. Main doesn't seem as technical comparatively. Still, I wouldn't want to bail on that line.
Skrad":21cj0tlj said:
I think the slide for life risk skiing Main Chute is a function of snow surface conditions.
With that grade and exposure and altitude I would imagine that Main Chute stays pretty soft chalk even when the rest of the mountain is slushing up or firm.

jamesdeluxe":g7h5j5uz said:
fond memories of a Hall of Fame TGR thread:

#-o That's quite the thread. Of course it is TGR though... (I only read the first page and a half as it devolved well beyond :brick: )

Admin":xaqdwkxr said:
I made extra sure to keep the horizon level on those! :lol:
Hmmm..... compare the horizon line in the photo of Bobby D's direct entry with that of the one of AndreB.
Looks to be about 5 degrees off!

Back