Mammoth, Dec. 18-20, 2012

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the weather forecasts and timed this trip for Tuesday-Thursday since snow was predicted Monday/Tuesday. Andrew is home for a few weeks, so I brought him along and last minute Becky decided to come also. Adam drove on his own, stayed in the ski house and left Wednesday afternoon after he had laid waste to enough powder as he had commitments in San Diego Thursday.

Dec. 18
The storm arrived a bit early, snowed all Monday night, still snowing lightly Tuesday morning. Adam got out there early Tuesday for the opening of chair 22, skied Viva and variations before I got there. The rest of us got to chair 2 ~9AM and I made it to 22 ~9:30. I skied Shaft and Grizzly before connecting with Adam. We skied along the ridge between 22 and 25, not hitting any buried obstacles like last April's powder day. Last run on 22 was Avy 2, entrance amazingly clear of obstacles, then cut over to get to 5, which was just opening at 10:30.

The wind was fairly light for a snowy day, but with 19 inches snow conservative avalanche boundaries were in effect: Dry Creek/Triangle on 5, back of 3 and the runs around the back of 1 toward the race courses were all roped off. Nonetheless we had decent powder on 5. Becky joined us after 3 runs and we went to the face of 5, which was least tracked. First run was ideal with a break in the clouds, second one was socked in. Becky tweaked a knee on one of these, nothing serious but hurt more at the end of skiing Wednesday than Tuesday.

After lunch we made our way to 12, slowly as we had to go through Main and up chair 11 due to avy boundaries. It was moderately tracked and when the snow is 16% water the tracked snow is a lot more resistant than when it's drier. It stopped snowing, started to clear and patrol began bombing the upper mountain ~2PM. We quit shortly thereafter because we wanted to be ready for Wednesday. Still a very nice day for me with 20K vertical, 11K of powder. Adam's early start paid off: his day was 25/14. Temps plunged behind the storm. It was 28F driving up the hill but 16F driving down. By dawn Wednesday it was -1F at Main Lodge.

Dec. 19
This time we both pulled up to chair 2 at 8:15 and were all in line when it began loading 8:30. It was 7F but completely clear with no wind. Storm total was 22 inches of dense but consistent snow. We suspected that patrol would have the top open quick, so Adam headed directly for mid. I went to 3 but turned around when I saw that the gondola was already open at 8:45. Adam was maybe 10 cars ahead so in the morning feeding frenzy we never met but texted occasionally. After his first gondola run he went to 23 to wait for its opening. My first run was Climax down to the face of 3 and back into midstation. Riding up I saw people emerging from Hangman's so decided to check it out. It was perhaps the easiest Hangman's run I've ever done. The rocks in the throat are buried now, the snow was soft and with the cornice set back so far it's easy to line up your turns through the critical section. Later view of someone in Hangman's.
IMG_1995.JPG

In this pic taken from chair 23 the throat is blocked from direct view.

I arrived at 23 just as it opened with a line of~5 minutes. I saw Adam (who got 2nd chair) tearing down Wipe Out 2 but I was scouting terrain and didn't get the camera out. As Hangman's was so forgiving I went for Drop Out 2. It skied fairly similarly: packed but soft through the tight section, good powder where it fanned out below. View of that area on a later lift ride on 23:
IMG_1994.JPG

I skied one run on Wipe Out 1 and then headed for the Paranoids. The weather/snow bought out the locals in force. There were not enough people for lift lines but we tracked out the top quite well by 10AM. Paranoid 2 and 3 skied about the same as 2 weeks ago, when they got the most deposition from a much smaller storm but there were not quite so many people getting after it. View across the hill at the bottom of P2:
IMG_1997.JPG

Noteworthy on the upper mountain from this storm was this fracture line on the Hump, about the height of the person next to it here:
IMG_1999.JPG

The fracture extended across Scotty's and the debris from it reached St. Anton in a few places.

After my second Paranoid run I took the gondola up and went out to Dave's. No surprise it was fairly tracked so I looked over and saw ski cuts in the Head Chutes, viewed from Chair 9 here:
IMG_2001.JPG

I was on the diagonal ridge looking at the first one but felt some hard snow under the powder. I decided that discretion was called for and skied the other side of the diagonal.

I went out Ricochet, worked my way through cut up dense snow in the trees below it, then up 9 and a run through the mellower trees near the lift. Overview of Chair 9:
IMG_2000a.jpg

I did not notice the snowboarder at center right who is about to drop off that rock.

Meanwhile Adam had gone off the back and hiked Hemlock Ridge. We were both pretty beat, so we all met for lunch at McCoy Station. Adam left for home after lunch while Becky, Andrew and I went up 3. Becky skied Coyote to 5 while Andrew found his way to Waterfall.
IMG_2005.JPG

Andrew still does not do a lot of steep or confined terrain but he has found the snowboard adapts well to dense Sierra snow, even when it's been cut up like here.

They stayed on the east side of the mountain while I went back to 2 and 23 to check out the backside. This was the first time I've climbed to the top of Hemlock Ridge. Views from there:
IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG

It was 2PM. The good news is that the bootpack was well established. The snow was cut up, but since it's a 10 minute hike there were still some fresh tracks. View of Hemlock Ridge from base of 14:
IMG_2013.JPG

I skied from the middle of the ridgetop.

After a cruiser on 14 I went back over the top to Monument. It had a lot of windsift, which I suspect may have been the "cloud" from the slide on Hump/Scotty's. I finished up with 23,400, 10K of powder. This already a record December for me with one more day here tomorrow.

Most of the storms have been high density this year so early coverage is exceptional. There are now no stairs at mid-station or at the top of the gondola. We are well on our way to a July 4th closing, particularly considering they are calling for another 3-4 feet this weekend.

Last edited:
Tony Crocker":3boyelzq said:
They stayed on the east side of the mountain while I went back to 2 and 23 to check out the backside. This was the first time I've climbed to the top of Hemlock Ridge. It was 2PM. The good news is that the bootpack was well established. The snow was cut up, but since it's a 10 minute hike there were still some fresh tracks.

I'm amazed this was your first time in Hemlocks. For me, it's a pretty consistent run on every powder day once the top is fairly tracked. At let's be honest, the bootpack shouldn't take more than 5 minutes even when you're one of the first people there :p

I missed out on today since I needed to be back in Claremont to take a final, but I had a solid day yesterday. Unlike Tony and Adam, I started on the Main Lodge side (easier when you're taking the bus). Gravy Chute and Chair 3 didn't ski very deep, but I had untracked lines on every run and Chair 3 opened quite early. I suspect most people simply couldn't see anyone on the chair and/or believed it wouldn't be open at 8:50am, but I managed to get 6 entirely untracked laps on the Face of 3...I truly didn't hit a single track on any of those runs until the runout to the chair, and same could be said for my runs Gravy Chute.

I thought Chair 5 might be opening soon, so I took Waterfall, which unlike the rest of Chair 3, skied like a solid 2 feet, plus was devoid of tracks. Although Chair 5 was moving, it wasn't yet open, so I began to lap Chair 10 and cut into the Face of 5 until 5 opened. I ended up getting 5 laps off 10, all untracked up on Chair 5 and deeper than Chair 3. Eventually, I saw a crowd in the line for Chair 5 and decided to wait. After a highly successful "lift-line shuffle"™ I ended up on the 2nd chair and was the first person down the face, which was really great. I took another run there, but it was getting tracked fast, so I headed out to Chair 25 as far right toward Chair 9 as the rope line allowed. This provided yet more untracked (even far right of Upper Solitude was deep and untracked), but when I saw how tracked Lincoln was, I decided to call it a day and hopefully get home before the snow level reached 3000 feet (aka, the 395 for a while).

I should also note that I was lucky enough to start this Mammoth trip last Thursday. After searching through my simplistic record of ski days after the start of college, it was certainly nowhere near the highest vertical powder day (I went over 50,000 feet of powder on February 25, 2011), but definitely the highest quality. It was at least 2 feet of veritable blower everywhere, lighter than the great snow I skied at Alta a few years ago. No wind and bluebird, plus no crowds since it was only forecasted for 3-5 inches or so. I didn't even bother waiting for the top to open and I still got 3rd chair on 23, which opened at the same time as the upper Gondi. My first run down Wipe Out 2 was the best I've ever had at Mammoth, and I basically just straightlined in, beating everyone back to 23 where I was able to duck the rope to hop back on the chair because there was literally no one in line. My next run was out to the Paranoids, once again not hitting a single track before hitting St. Anton. Unfortunately, I did hit a large rock at an extremely high rate of speed, resulting in a particularly nasty coreshot (the edge is permanently damaged and I actually made it to the 2nd layer of the core), but I just ignored that for the rest of the day since it was too good to stop.

I took the Gondi up, and after yet another untracked run, this time down Dave's, I noticed 13 was open so I headed to the Hemlocks, and after passing a group of 6 Aussies on the bootpack, I realized I was the first up there besides patrol. My line was easily chest deep, truly amazing, although it was a particularly difficult slog out without any tracks. I did another lap on Hemlock (similarly untracked) before choosing to check out the Head Chutes and Dragon's Tail. They were still good and untracked, but not quite as deep and slightly crusty due to the sun, so I went back to the gondola. Huevos still hadn't seen much traffic, so I went there for a few laps and had untracked with minimal traversing on the apron. I ended the day doing a run on Starr Chute (previously closed for a Marlboro cigarettes photo shoot), so that was also untracked and deep. Truly the greatest day ever.

Friday was then a classic wind-buff day, but after a long night, all I had was a single layer underneath an 80's-era woman's one-piece, so I mainly stuck to Chair 22 for the relatively protected Avi Chutes. On Saturday, I headed to the Sherwins for more powder, although that was probably the wrong call considering how good it looked in bounds. Sunday was brutal, way too windy so nothing was open and most of the snow was very hard. I got some decent turns hiking in the Starr Chutes, but that was it. Monday wasn't that great, hitting bottom in most places.

I'm headed home to Chicago now, so I can't enjoy the projected snowfalls this weekend and beyond. It's shaping up to be a great season though!

I'm not that surprised by Staley's report above. This week's storm was 16% per patrol site. Last week's was 8%, about average for Utah. Report of Chair 3 Tuesday reminds me of last April. When the vis is bad, people stay away and if you can handle it you can get quite a few repeat powder runs. I did not get to 3 until late Tuesday after the weather had cleared. There was still some decent windsift then.

jamesdeluxe":24oxggo9 said:
Tony Crocker":24oxggo9 said:
decent windsift (...) at Mammoth
Admin can confirm how I called that line ^^ four days ago.

Wind affected snow? At Mammoth? That prediction makes you no Carnac the Magnificent.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

There are some magnificent photos of the 8% day(s) in the Mammoth forum's current conditions thread, for those who don't hop-scotch between here and there.

When we arrived in Mammoth Monday night I went to Footloose to inquire about the Blizzard Bonafides which I had demoed on Dec. 8. The last two pair in my size 180cm had come in last week and had sold immediately. They did sell me the demo, which had been skied 6-10 days, for a very modest discount of $75. But the ski is in short supply and I decided I wanted it for the January Euro trip.

I skied my Head Jimis on the previous 2 powder days and switched to the Bonafides for the final day Dec. 20. As on Dec. 8 my legs were worked but also as on Dec. 8 the Bonafides required very little effort so I was ready to explore a bit after a couple of warmup runs with Andrew.

Churned up Sierra snow can be a lot of work the next day, but fortunately the Mammoth wind machine delivered in fine style. It blew hard on top, mostly from the SW but erratically in other exposed areas and not that much lower down. I was lazy with the camera but did get a few wind pictures.
IMG_2017a.JPG

IMG_2023.JPG

IMG_2026.JPG

There was not a cloud in the sky, so all of that white is snow being blown over from the backside.

So the objective was to seek out where it ended up. I started with Chair 22. Viva and nearby trees had mostly filled in the troughs with windsift. The Avy chutes were on a completely different level. The windsift was wall to wall smooth here, soft with no contact upon the subsurface. I thought I was skiing Avy1 fluidly but someone ripped past me like he was skiing a groomer.

Leaving 22 I saw similar snow up on Dave's so I headed up there and the snow was of such quality that even I could ski it in BobbyD style. I came down through Dry Creek and next run found another line of deep windsift along the liftline of chair 5.

After lunch at the Mill I took a few runs on Chair 23. There were substantial sections of deep windsift in the Drop Outs and Wipe Outs though not top to bottom as on Dave's and the Avy Chutes. I took a break riding the gondola from the bottom and skied a soft line skier's left of Climax, where the avy debris from 2 weeks ago was long since buried. My final run was an encore of Dave's.

Admin":3o1s9t9e said:
Tony Crocker":3o1s9t9e said:
decent windsift
Those are mutually exclusive terms.
Arguing with admin is often pointless, so I'll let readers judge by this pic taken by Mammoth Snowman on Climax today:
msf1220.jpg

I met Andrew at 2:45 to show him the run down to the village where Becky picked us up. I had been on it just twice before in Feb. 2011 and forgot that it had a lot of flat spots. It's manageable on skis but a real PITA for snowboarders. Andrew will definitely not get off the mountain that way again. Becky did not ski today due to the sore knee.

I finished with 26,300 vertical today, well beyond my expectations when I started the day. I've now skied more days at Mammoth than all of last season. 8 days, 176K vertical and 31K of powder are also lifetime records for the month of December. I expect I'm done until January as I usually lie low during "zoo week." It's cold in SoCal so snowmaking is finally going full blast here, but after these 8 days it's hard to get motivated for Big Bear or Mt. High.

Mountain High was surprisingly good yesterday, Tony, but I don't blame ya one bit. It's been hard to follow the Mammoth action and not be able to go.

Tony Crocker":1iz233ps said:
Arguing with admin is often pointless

Hey, Pot? It's Kettle here...

Tony Crocker":2da9yqls said:
But you have to admire the photographer's timing here:
If you're shooting in continuous mode at 5 - 7 frames per second, it removes almost all the timing guesswork.

Back