Alta/Snowbird, UT 12/28/2013

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 24: Busy again.

Yep, it's still holiday week skiing -- surprise, surprise. AmyZ, Bobby D, Skidog and I did much the same as yesterday. Aside from a brief overcast interlude during mid-morning (our dry "cold" front moving through), the day was once again warm and sunny. In short, a repeat of Friday.

By avoiding Supreme and Sugarloaf at prime times (i.e., 10:30 to noon) we were largely able to avoid liftlines. Bumps, however, are building with the holiday traffic and no new snow, especially on the entirety of West Rustler. The bumps on Extrovert and Challenger are particularly ugly, and life's too short to ski bumps. Those on Challenger, however, can now be avoided as ASP opened the upper gate into Supreme Bowl today for the first time this season. The Spiney Chutes, though, are thoroughly cooked by the spring-like sun. With today's terrain opening that leaves only Devil's Castle and the Baldy Chutes closed, which is as often the case in mid-February as it is now.

One thing that we did differently today was one foray into Mineral Basin at Snowbird. Surfaces were far scratchier over there, so we returned immediately.

20131228_114607.jpg

20131228_115357.jpg

Another thing that we did differently was lunch at Rustler Lodge.

20131228_121925.jpg

Really, I've said it before but that has to be the best-kept secret at Alta. While places like Alf's and Watson Shelter were assuredly a total junk show today, the dining room at Alta Lodge was maybe 70% full even though their lodging is filled to capacity this week. No fighting to find a table. No waiting in line for your food. Real china, real flatware and linen tablecloths. A nice warm basket of homemade bread while your food is prepared. Sit-down service. And even with tax and tip, no more expensive than other on-mountain dining. My blackened chicken Caesar salad was the perfect size, with the chicken moist, tender and ample -- for $8. Yeah, they nail you for $4 for a bottomless soda (which you can avoid by opting for water instead), but I still got out of there with tax and tip for $16. It's a wonderful respite from the holiday crowds.

20131228_124159.jpg

Back