Aspen Mt. CO, Jan. 8, 2014

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Tseeb got out early and racked up ~9K of high speed cruisers by 10AM. Liz and I met him and skied Ruthie’s a couple of times with variations through the inch of new snow over the groomed. Liz bailed at 11:30 with her sore toes and headed to Highlands for a redo bootfitting. The Head Raptors remained painful so she had a 1PM appointment for Jim Lindsay of Bootech to put her in Nordica La Ninas.

Liz had stumbled upon the tidbit that Aspen Mt. has several shrines to musicians stashed in the trees. So Tseeb and I decided to see what we could find. As we exited the gondola around noon, a hostess was serving hot cider and had granola to feed a couple of local birds.
IMG_5271a.jpg

We asked the hostess about the shrines and she directed us to John Denver’s.
IMG_5276.JPG

We headed to the Ridge of Bell. Tseeb skiing the Back of Bell into Copper Bowl.
IMG_5280.JPG

Next top to bottom lap was down the Nose of Bell.
IMG_5282.JPG

We got lucky on the next gondola ride, sharing with an old-school instructor and his private lesson. After chatting about various runs on Bell, we inquired and he gave us directions to 3 more shrines.

After a quick stop for Bonnie’s famous strudel, we rode FIS chair and eventually found our way to Aspen Mt’s most elaborate shrine.
IMG_5283.JPG

This wall was part of an old mining hut and farther along it were these vintage skis.
IMG_5285.JPG

Zoom the niche at middle right to read the painted, “Excuse me while I kiss the sky.”
Tseeb here with toy guitar, Jimi Hendrix pics and continued lettering on the aspens.
IMG_5289.JPG

Looking down the aspens with the final inscribed letters of “Electric Ladyland.”
IMG_5287a.jpg

Tseeb skiing past a rock outcrop where Perry’s Prowl merges into Spar Gulch.
IMG_5292a.jpg

Back up the gondola we took our final run via the Marilyn and Elvis shrines.
IMG_5294.JPG

Tseeb and Marilyn
IMG_5298a.jpg

Elvis and me
IMG_5299.JPG

We called it a day at 3PM as we needed to connect with Liz at Highlands and meet marketing director Jeff Hanle at the Nell by 4:30. I still managed 23,200 vertical and Tseeb was over 30K.

This was my second time in the last 6 years skiing Aspen early with some new on top of groomed. Last time it was four inches viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6700&p=33116&hilit=Aspen#p33116 but even the one inch was great to ski when untracked. I was in the second or third gondola when they started loading at least 5 minutes before 9 am. Not too many people skied as low as Lift 1A so I was able to 8 my tracks there. First picture is Ruthie's Run.

Still hitting limits trying to load pictures more than 200K. Tried logging out of FirstTracks, but no help. Will try again after re-starting PC and, if still not working, will try from my son's Mac and wife's iPad to see if problem is Windows 8,

Attachments

• 1874RuthiesTracks.JPG
    1874RuthiesTracks.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 2,167
  • 9505TonyCrockerBird.JPG
    9505TonyCrockerBird.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 2,166
  • 9509ExcuseMe.JPG
    9509ExcuseMe.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 2,166
Back