Buttermilk, CO, Jan. 9, 2014

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Liz’ toes were too sore to ski and we wanted to be on the road midday, so I decided to make Buttermilk area #186 for me.

They are hard at work preparing for the upcoming Winter X Games.
IMG_5305.JPG

IMG_5306.JPG

This is the last year of Aspen’s 10 year contract with ESPN, but there’s reasonable chance of an extension. The logistics at Buttermilk are exceptionally favorable. Over 10K spectators can view from its base area, while the 3 bigger mountains’ operations are completely unaffected. It’s probably similar to the country club skiing I had at AltaBird during the Olympics when the visitors were at event sites.

I took 2 runs on West Buttermilk and 3 on Tiehack. Tiehack has mainstream intermediate pitch and Racer’s Edge at left here is its steepest run.
IMG_5308.JPG

At top is a view up Maroon Creek with Highlands at left and Pyramid Peak I think at upper right in partial cloud.
IMG_5311a.jpg

There were some mellow glades between Tiehack runs with essentially no tracks at 11AM.
IMG_5314.JPG

There was only an inch new snow, but on a real powder day this would be an ideal area for someone to learn powder with little competition.

At noon Liz had her final adjustment to her Nordica La Ninas at Bootech. After a break for her toes, hopefully the new boots will be comfortable.

Back