Mt Bachelor 1/11 and Baja Pics

schubwa

It's really been a struggle out here after what seemed like a great start. I did a lot of skiing right out of the gate but by the time the lifts opened I had left to Baja for almost two weeks. Weather Bell meteorologist Joe Bastardi had predicted a very 1977-like winter in the PNW so I booked a couple of trips to La Ventana to go kite early this season. Turns out to be a great decision for as soon as I get back it starts to dump!
I went Thursday and it was fun to be riding soft snow after a long stretch of hard snow (at least for those who were still here). Yesterday was a mixed bag of wind and intermittent snow showers but today had all the cards, a very potent storm riding in on some stiff SW winds.
We went up around 12:30 as the front came in a little late. It was soft lightly-tracked tracked freshies with slow lifts due to high winds at mid-mountain. But after a few runs it just started to pound snow. Every run was a refill and so tomorrow is looking good. Suddenly we have 67" at mid with some 29" in the last five days. Sorry no pics today, too stormy.

fullsizeimage_zpsaa1d095a.jpeg

This is where I was for most of December into January as I went down two times.

IMG_0848_zps65a7fdbc.jpg

Sally's two girls Isabelle and Sophie and friend Ella Crosby in front of Baja Joe's.

IMG_0810_zpsfef40b93.jpg

View from the front yard of the home we rented over the holidays in South Beach, La Ventana, BCS Mexico

IMG_0849_zps1c1fcf2c.jpg

Looking south from the front porch is a sweet little reef break that works on an El Norte. The next morning you can go surf it on your SUP. Then the wind fills in and you grab your kite board (mine's a 5'3" quad swallow North Pacific surfboard) and rip it on ur kite! Yes!

IMG_0850_zps262e446b.jpg

On the top deck having a beer.

IMG_0835_zpscadde536.jpg

The compound.

IMG_0843_zps30c20596.jpg

Back