Eldora, CO 2-14-14

EMSC

Day 14: Some more pow.

After the last cycle of storms we had about 36 hours of break before the next cycle of NW flow set up dropping 5" per day for 3 days in a row at Eldora. I figured it would be worth another mid-week day and it was \:D/. After getting stuck behind both a tow truck pulling a bus up the canyon, plus a grader going up to the parking lots I made it on the lifts about 9:20 which had me annoyed as I was hoping for opening bell today (Eldroa opens at 9 all days of the week this year). The big difference with the 15" of new was that the typical Eldora winds were back which made the snow wind packed in certain places but not enough to be more than a minor annoyance. It did mean a redistribution of snow in a few areas though.

Turns out that my late arrival mattered little as the handful of expert skiers there today skipped over the Indian Peaks area. Most folks were clearly families sticking to the groomed. I had 2nd tracks on the IP liftline and then 2nd tracks in Placer glade, plus a second glade run there with all of ~6th tracks. Then I tried out one of my secret slots for all freshies before deciding to get as much main trail skiing as I could before chewing through my staches. That meant 3 good mostly pow runs on a lightly skied Salto and 1 on Moose before hitting my staches for a further 4 runs. Ending my day ~1:30 as the next wave of moisture was coming in and making the light rather flat. Generally everything had anywhere from ~3" of new to the full 15" depending on where I was skiing and how chopped up it was. Another fun day for sure. I counted ~19K of vert in my 4.5 hr day.

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Image00009.jpg

Image00012.jpg

Image00013.jpg

Back