Copper, CO 2-21-14

EMSC

Guys Trip Day 3

Another 2" of snow was reported by Copper (on top of 4" reported the day before), and it probably was that on the lower 2/3, but up top in the bowls it was probably anywhere from 4-8" depending on which bowl and where in the bowl and mostly from wind deposition. Winds were breezy, but not too bad considering and temps were still chilly but probably ~10 degrees warmer than at beaver Creek the day before. So somewhere in the 20's down low and probably teens up top.

I know Copper pretty well and got the group skiing from the Super Bee lift at which point we split up into a couple of different groups with some of us heading up the new t-Bar that replaced the old poma at Storm King. Spaulding Bowl was closed and wouldn't open until much later. With many "I felt that" concussions of avi blasting going on in all the bowls ans well as Tucker Mtn. The best parts of Copper bowl were also still closed so we headed for Union Bowl using the technique of Lillie G's to Mountain Chief lift to get there (aka going into the back bowl and riding back out to access Union). The snow was excellent. No hard surfaces to hit and a nice pitch to boot. Nearly everyone skis that bowl by going too far skiers right leaving better and steeper tracks skiers left. The biggest, nicest addition at Copper this year is a very short but WAY TOO SLOW poma that allows access from the Sierra lift up to the back bowls or the entry to Union bowl. Previously from Sierra you had to hike 100 verts or so. Now the new poma literally goes only about as fast as you can hike, but leaves you with more energy afterward. We lapped Union Bowl for ~5 runs before trying some trees in (sorry, it's one of my secret locations that hardly anyone skis and has powder lines late into the day or beyond).

After that we needed to see if anyone would show at the designated 1pm lunch location of Solitude Station. No one else did and our ever smaller group split off more with only 3 of us hitting Spaulding Bowl where another split off after only on e run leaving 2 of us to ski Spaulding a few more laps until it closed at 3; with the sunny day turning cloudy for yet another round of light snow. Given the flat light we decided to head in for the day about 3:15 or so and have a brew in JJ's with the group. Along the way I decided against even trying Tucker Mtn since most of the group would not be ready for the long hike after the cat drop, the fact that there were big avi debris fields on sections of Tucker and the fact it would be too time consuming given our only one day there.

Image00025.jpg

Image00026.jpg

Image00027.jpg

Image00028.jpg

Image00029.jpg

Image00030.jpg

Image00031.jpg

Image00032.jpg

Image00033.jpg

Image00034.jpg

Back