Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT 2/27/14

flyover

I flew into Spokane on the afternoon of 2/26/14 and was picked up by my friend John who had driven from Seattle in his trusty Subaru. We had been thinking we would head up into BC, but after I read him the forecasts, I managed to talk him into a longer trip into West-Central Montana.

I took the wheel and John started making some calls for lodging. He booked us into the Sula Country Store, where, for $140 we got: (1) a small, heated cabin with two beds, (2) breakfast of two three-egg omelets, hash browns, homemade biscuits and all the coffee we could drink, and (3) two lift tickets. The blazing stars at night and views of the bald eagle fishing the river right next to our cabin in the morning were complimentary.

IMG_3163.JPG

IMG_3162.JPG

LTPM is only open Thursday - Sunday. It didn't snow Wednesday night, but it had snowed 14 inches since the lifts had last spun. The area is East-facing and lower-elevation aspects facing somewhat to the south were a bit sun-crusted. Almost everything else was dense powder with the exception of short stashes of lighter powder in the trees on the steeper, North-facing ridges that run down from the number 1 and number 4 chairs. Definitely not cold smoke, but it all skied very nicely.

The weather veered quickly back and forth from sunny to intense snow squalls most of the day. By mid afternoon, the base had warmed up to just above freezing and the locals had mostly split. We were told it was the warmest, heaviest day of the the season.

We skied to closing bell, and the place was not even close to tracked out. LTPM has a really family-friendly vibe, and everybody was happy to share information that made it fairly easy to seek out some of the best snow and terrain. LTPM skis much bigger than I expected it to based upon the stats and the trail map. The resort could use a little more steep and North-facing terrain, but the low skier density, apparently abundant snowfall, decent altitude and relaxed, friendly vibe would bring me back in a heartbeat. I also think it would be a terrific place to learn powder skiing basics.

Attachments

• IMG_3166.JPG
    IMG_3166.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 4,719
  • IMG_3169.JPG
    IMG_3169.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 4,710
  • IMG_3170.JPG
    IMG_3170.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 4,720
  • IMG_3172.JPG
    IMG_3172.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 4,724
  • IMG_3185.JPG
    IMG_3185.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 4,717
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    308.8 KB · Views: 4,717
  • IMG_3189.JPG
    IMG_3189.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 4,716
An east-coast transplant on another forum referred to it as "Club LT."

Looks like a great place for a low-angle-powder fan like me.

jamesdeluxe":cex9jess said:
An east-coast transplant on another forum referred to it as "Club LT."

Looks like a great place for a low-angle-powder fan like me.

Yes! I really like pics 4, 6-8. Steep and deep is cool too for me, as long as not too hairy, but those sell LT pretty well.

I had a lot of fun there over Christmas week while visiting my daughter in Stevensville, MT. We went up for a day and skied an afternoon until closing. The snow amounts were impressive given the low snow levels at lower elevations in the Bitterroots, and there was powder and packed snow a-plenty. Not many steeps, but some could be found. Low sun angles of the winter solstice kept the snow fresh on all aspects. I agree with the comments about a friendly and family-oriented vibe. Conditions at LT were much better than those at Montana Snow Bowl that week.

Montana Snowbowl is lower than Lost Trail and severely south facing. I think it's snowfall is decent, though almost certainly less than Lost Trail. Snowbowl has great terrain if you hit it right (which I did fortunately, with sun and corn in early February), reminded me of Baldy in that respect.

Snow bowl is certainly lower elevation at the base, perhaps too low for early season, and largely south facing, as you say. It seems to have great terrain and only two double chairs, which limits skier traffic. Unfortunately, the day I hit it this season (Christmas week) was warm and while the upper elevation was merely a bit sticky, the lower elevations were pure slop. By contrast, LT was dry and much deeper, even though the days were not much different in the valley.

Last year was colder and the snow was dryer, but the difference in snow levels between the summit and base was several hundred percent. Right now, I would expect that all those areas have great coverage, because of the recent massive snowfall in the Bitterroot valley area.

Back