Snowbird (and Alta, plus Park City MTB) UT 5/17/14

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 78: a multisport day.

Bobby Danger, AmyZ and I hooked up for a few runs this morning.

After spotting a car at Alta's Wildcat lot we booted up at Snowbird and caught first tram at 8 am that was like old home week. Every face was either familiar or a friend.

me7ytame.jpg

First tram

Our warmup run was Chamonix 1, which was stiffening nicely already although Lupine Loop was still rather stiff.

After that we headed to Alta, out the Chamonix gate to traverse to beneath the dormant Baldy Express lift, where the others stayed booting to Sugarloaf Pass as I started skinning.

egate5yd.jpg

Beneath Baldy Express

e6emuje2.jpg

The sign says it all

e3eheja2.jpg

Atop Sugarloaf Pass

Yellow Trail was smooth corn perfection.

se4ede4a.jpg

Bobby Danger

Although Backside is more out of the sun with its East-Northeast aspect, it's steeper than Yellow Trail so it's more tilted into the sun and that was enough to make a difference. We should've been there 30 minutes earlier.

Returning to Snowbird at around 10 am, I split. A couple of weeks ago I found a used Specialized full suspension mountain bike for Mrs. Admin, and today it got its maiden voyage in Round Valley at Park City.

ypygy2ag.jpg

That snow in the background is Deer Valley

It was my first time in the saddle this year. We did about a 10-mile loop, roughly three quarters of it on intermediate singletrack (Rambler/Ramble On for those who know the area). She actually did rather well. Her bike held up as well as she did; mine didn't as I somehow dented and cracked my rear rim and I had to finish the ride with only front brakes. I have to get it replaced before I can ride again.

uvy3u9a3.jpg

Round Valley, with the Park City ridgeline beyond

Back