Skunked Again at Timberline, May 12, 2014

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
This was my third spring/summer visit to Timberline and I've yet to see the Palmer lift running. On May 2, 1990 I skied 2 lower lifts in drizzle for a couple of hours, then bailed to go watch windsurfers in the Columbia Gorge before scoring the next 2 days of corn perfection at Bachelor.

In 2012 I finished my 21-month streak on a Northwest road trip with Patrick that ended at Timberline Lodge July 2. We woke up to a torrential downpour July 3 and took a pass on skiing.

This time Liz and I came from Mt. Bachelor after 3 days of skiing, the first 2 in full-on winter but the storm cleared out by Sunday May 11. We arrived at Timberline Lodge about 7PM to this enticing view.
IMG_6280a.JPG

A closer look showed ungroomed snow next to Palmer, so that it had not opened Sunday. We heard that the weather had cleared later from Mt. Hood than from Bachelor.

The next morning it was clear but windy. So windy that even Magic Mile didn't open, much less Palmer. So we bailed on skiing with only the short Stormin' Norman lift open. Fortunately Timberline Lodge let us switch from the ski package we had reserved to a bed and breakfast special. The historic lodge is worth a visit even without skiing and the dining, both dinner and breakfast, is first-rate.

We left around 11AM, driving around the east side of Mt. Hood. The SE side between Timberline and Hood Meadows has some long backcountry fall lines under the right corn conditions.
IMG_6288a.JPG

We stopped for quick view of Mt. Hood Meadows, still open weekends in mid-May.
IMG_6291a.JPG

Driving down to Hood River there's a good view of Mt. Adams, another noted backcountry destination Patrick and I discussed in 2012.
IMG_6292a.JPG

The winds that shut the upper lifts at Timberline were from east to west, an Oregon version of our SoCal Santa Anas. It was 73F in Hood River and 85F when we got to Portland! These cancelled out the famed Columbia Gorge wind tunnel. At Hood River where I had seen expert windsurfers ripping in 1990, it was a calm day for stand-up paddleboarders.
IMG_6295a.JPG

At the Columbia Gorge Hotel there was evidence of the prevailing wind pattern.
IMG_6299.JPG

After a quick view of the busy Multnomah Falls, where a trail bridge was under repair, we went to the quieter Horsetail Falls.
IMG_6303.JPG

From there we hiked up a short trail. First a view through a gap in the forest to marsh and river below.
IMG_6305.JPG

We arrived at Ponytail Falls.
IMG_6310.JPG

The hiking trail goes behind the falls for a different perspective.
IMG_6319.JPG

We got to Portland about 5PM to visit the Japanese Garden. They have a zen sand garden of similar size to the one I saw in Kyoto in 2009.
IMG_6329.JPG

On Tuesday drove out to 2 wineries. Domaine Serene had this sculpture made out of rusted metal.
IMG_6346.JPG

Reminds us of our traditional May ski destination.

Back