Hiking Lost Kratka Ridge Ski Area, Aug. 30, 2014

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
We took a late afternoon drive up the Angeles Crest Saturday, and I thought Liz would enjoy exploring Kratka Ridge (also known as Snowcrest). We hiked up the single black run in the center of this pic.
IMGP1699.JPG

Ticket office is at lower left.

The lift towers and single chairs are still there, dating back to 1954.
IMGP1673.JPG

But the base station for the lift was wiped out by an avalanche in February 2001. A nearby base lodge and bar burned down in December 2001. The Angeles Crest Resorts ownership collected insurance but never rebuilt. The current Metcalf ownership has its hands full reviving Mt. Waterman and has not done anything yet with Kratka.

After climbing that ski run we hiked along the ridge for awhile. There was a view of the upper San Gabriel River Canyon with the Highway 39 cut at left.
IMGP1677.JPG

The connection from Hwy 39 to the Angeles Crest Highway was severed by mudslides in 1978 and has never reopened.

Eventually we reached the top unloading station of the 700 vertical single chair.
IMGP1678.JPG

Upper lift shack
IMGP1681.JPG

Zoom view of Mt. Waterman's upper Chair 2
IMGP1682.JPG

Liz ascended a lift tower.
IMGP1683.JPG

We descended a blue run toward the original base lodge.
IMGP1689.JPG

Those cars had some damage (tires, windshields) and ~3 year old registrations.

Soon we reached the top of the beginner chair
IMGP1691.JPG

This was built in late 1980's. When I skied Kratka as a beginner in 1977 and 1978 there were only rope tows in this area. I brought Andrew here as a beginner in 1994 to use this chair, and skied the single just a few times. The only time I skied the single extensively was in 1981.

Rope tow pulley with day lodge in background.
IMGP1697.JPG

Food service deck at the day lodge
IMGP1698.JPG

Somehow I remembered this setup very well from my few visits.

We left Kratka and then stopped at Buckhorn.
IMGP1700.JPG

I brought Adam up here at age 2 on plastic skis

I did not notice the lodge or longer ropetows then.
IMGP1701.JPG

Supposedly the 3 ropetows access a combined 680 vertical feet , nearly as much as Kratka.

There is a well-maintained lodge that sleeps up to 40 people.
IMGP1705.JPG

We stopped at Mt. Waterman also and happened to run into caretaker Todd Brugger, whom I met hiking up there with Samantha the year after the Station Fire. He explained that Buckhorn is indeed a going concern as a private ski club. I asked about the long ropetows and Todd explained that members uses a belt and "gripper" to attach. This is the same as the famous New Zealand "nutcrackers" and I had been thinking that Buckhorn looked like a smaller version of the NZ club fields I had visited in 2010. Todd did not know about the NZ areas, but we both knew that nutcracker tows are not permitted in public ski areas in the US.

Mt. Waterman is open on summer weekends, with chair 1 scenic ride access, food at the day lodge and a frisbee golf course set up around the chair 2 ski runs.

I see little evidence that Mt. Baldy will be improved in any significant way, but also little evidence that it will close down either. SoCal has had numerous other severe droughts.
http://50.87.144.177/~bestsnow/scalhist.htm
Baldy seems to be surviving the bad seasons on a low fixed expense model. There have been 15 seasons out of 39 when no terrain on Baldy's chairs 1 and 4 has ever been open. That said, this has been the worst 3-year stretch for SoCal skiing since I started in 1976.

Brings back some memories.. I hiked up Kratka about maybe 8 yrs ago? Really cool old place. I'm curious if the caretaker/s at Kratka are still there. I forget the guys name, but he worked at Newcomb's. Surprise. I remember going to Kratka lodge to leave a note on the door for him the day the Station Fire made a run at Chilao and crossed into Devil's Cyn.. It was so eerie being there that day, and wondering if that was the last time I'd see it standing. I'm glad the USFS has not torn down anything there... yet.

Also glad to hear Waterman has finally at least been able to do scenic chairlift rides/food in summer. Glad to hear Todd is still up there, too.. he's a good guy. As much as I don't miss much about Socal.. there were some good times for me up there working for the USFS and playing/living on the Crest. It is a special place.

thanks for the pics.

It's sad to see Kratka Ridge in that condition. I skied this mountain in the late 80s and early 90s.

Tony Crocker":2s7vuciu said:
I see little evidence that Mt. Baldy will be improved in any significant way, but also little evidence that it will close down either. SoCal has had numerous other severe droughts.
Baldy seems to be surviving the bad seasons on a low fixed expense model.

I think Mt. Baldy is surviving in large part due to a fundamental change in their business.

Skiing and Snowboarding in many ways is a secondary business now. Their primary business seems to be sightseeing, mountain biking and special events at The Notch restaurant. Mt. Baldy is open at least weekends year-round for scenic rides on the main chairlift, restaurant operations, hiking, disc golf, and mountain biking. They charge $25 for adults and $15 for children to ride the chairlift round trip. There is money to be made on chair rides, activities, food & beverage sales, and especially special events (weddings, etc.).

Ski areas around the country are now trying to do, thanks to changes in the forest service rules, what Mt. Baldy has been doing for 30+ years!

Beyond that they've expanded their snow play operations and tubing in the winter months, which requires far less snow cover to operate than the ski hill. Also, the limited snowmaking system gives them ample capacity to cover the tubing and snow play areas.

Obviously they're still in the ski-snowboard business when snow conditions permit, but the number of scenic chair ride days far out numbers the number of ski days in the past decade. Thus, I believe it's this business that keeps them going more than the downhill snow sliding one.

egieszl":1iqhgu18 said:
Obviously they're [Mt. Baldy] still in the ski-snowboard business when snow conditions permit, but the number of scenic chair ride days far out numbers the number of ski days in the past decade. Thus, I believe it's this business that keeps them going more than the downhill snow sliding one.
I think this is an excellent point and undoubtedly true. As noted in my post, Waterman is also running a lift on weekends for summer sightseers. Unfortunately, as with skiing Baldy usually has a more impressive product.

Back