Jackson Hole, WY, Jan. 23, 2015

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Weather for our last 2 days at Jackson was predicted “unsettled,” minimal new snow but some clouds and a bit of wind up top. It was still 9F when we pulled into the Ranch parking lot. We planned to meet up with Kingslug and a couple more of the Diamond Dogs, but we were delayed by a hiccup in processing Liz’ Mountain Collective for her third day, the first at half price after the 2 free days.

Kingslug and Adriane skied a couple of gondola laps and finally we joined them for 2 more on Sundance and Gros Ventre. We next hoped to take them on a Rock Springs run, but the top of Rendezvous Bowl was in the cloud. So we went to the Why Not gate below tree line. Not too far inside some locals have set up a bar. Liz and Adriane there:
IMG_7557.JPG

I briefed Kingslug and Adriane about following established tracks and traversing far left as there are some tempting earlier lines that cliff out. Fortunately they listened to what I said more than what I actually skied. Kingslug and Adriane on an upper bowl in Why Not.
IMG_7560.JPG

The bowl continued down to a blind rollover so I skied down to inspect. I called back up that it funneled into a narrow chute. Kingslug asked, “Can we ski that?” I replied, “I can but it’s tight.” Liz followed me, and we had to sideslip a slick crux, which was perhaps a bit easier for Liz on 166’s than me on 180’s. Looking back up at the choke point.
IMG_7562.JPG

It was about 35 degrees, not super steep, but there was not room for us to make turns in there for 50-100 feet. I know, BobbyD would have straightlined it. Liz skiing below me:
IMG_7561.JPG

Kingslug and Adriane saw established traverse tracks into the trees and skied the open Why Not run that had been our objective.
IMG_7570.JPG

We all skied down lower Rock Springs, and after that adventure took the gondola up for a lunch break. By this time the clouds had vanished so we had a clear afternoon.

Leaving lunch and heading for Thunder we saw a sundog over the stunted trees near Cascade.
IMG_7571.JPG

We took Thunder 3 times, skiing soft snow in Paintbrush variations twice. Liz in cave above lower Paintbrush.
IMG_7582.JPG

Riding Thunder we saw tracks at the very top of Headwall, not visible at this resolution.
IMG_7589.JPG

We skied Laramie Bowl to Sublette, then finished with North Hoback, a fitting last run for the Diamond Dogs’ week. Liz and Kingslug at top of North Hoback.
IMG_7591.JPG

Liz’ class seemed to kick in today. She skied the smooth snow on the lower half of North Hoback nonstop.
IMG_7598.JPG

Kingslug was having some boot pain.
IMG_7601.JPG

He had led the way in the morning, but the Hobacks are an tough way to finish a ski day if your feet hurt.

Numerous ski areas have clothing trees but at Jackson there is a boot tree.
IMG_7603a.jpg

Liz was tempted to contribute her 2014 boots. Liz and I finished with 18,800 vertical.

We went to the Diamond Dogs finale dinner at Q Roadhouse.
IMGP2608.JPG

Great TR! We spent last week there, Feb 7-14, for some spring skiing. Nice pics of the Hobacks. It's a bit different with heavy, wet stuff, but at least the trails on top remained frozen.

The first warmup hit right after we left Jackson, but I'm told the inversion remained and the Lower Faces still skied well that week.

On Feb. 12 and Feb. 14 it was over 40F at both base and mid-mountain. As Jim Steenburgh has analyzed in Utah, by mid-February the sun is usually strong enough to break up the inversion and warm up the lower elevations. Inversions are the bane of Salt Lake City because of pollution, but they are a blessing in Jackson for snow preservation.

I skied at Jackson Hole today (for the first time). It's quite an impressive resort, and the weather was beautiful today. Unfortunately, everything off-piste was skied off since the last big storm and/or had thawed/frozen. The groomers were decent. Some slopes softened in the afternoon, although it wasn't so warm further up. I had a couple of good runs later in the day off the Bridger Gondola. I asked a couple of the JH hosts if there was any decent snow available for a hike, and they said that the snow was only good in areas that should only by accessed with avalanche training and beacons, etc.

I have no pics due to losing my camera at Powder Mountain over the weekend (of course a skied off mountain isn't all that picture-worthy anyhow).

I plan to go back tomorrow for the 2nd day of my Mtn. Collective pass.

Baldyskier:

Try the Hobacks. Take Hanging Rock and Rendezvous trails from the top of Sublette to the entrance on the right.

They're probably _comparatively_ skied off, but it's such a huge area that you'll find plenty of non-groomer fun in there. They've got rollovers, ridges, gullies, trees and boulders. Big fun. Once you're in, however, there's no way back out but down all the way, and it's about 3000 ft vertical I'm told. If it's like last week, I'd wait until 10:30 or 11:00 to go to let it soften up, but don't wait until 2:00 or 3:00, or you'll be skiing in slush all the way down.

Hopefully you get this before you go out. I've got no photos, unfortunately. I took a few in the bright sun with my phone, and discovered my finger obscuring most of the photos. Ansel Adams I'm not.

Have fun!
Tom

Back