Jackson Hole, WY, Jan. 24, 2015

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Our last day in Jackson was overcast all day. Early temps in Ranch parking lot were 14F, but the inversion appeared to be breaking up. There was a substantial Saturday morning line for the gondola so we rode Teewinot and skied our first 3 runs on Apres Vous. Here we were plagued by fog that froze on our goggles and needed to be wiped off 2 or 3 times per run before it got too solid. We returned to base ~10:45 and the gondola line had quieted down, so we rode it up and got our goggles more thoroughly clean.

We crossed to Thunder, skied Grand to Sublette and then the Bivouac trees for better visibility in the cloud. By this time the cloud was only on the upper mountain so we had a clear vis run in Rawlins Bowl. Then we had an excellent lunch at WB, a sit down restaurant overlooking the Teewinot chair.

Our last day in Jackson was Chris Steiner’s first, and we finally made contact after lunch. Chris is noted for the Forbes ski area ratings of the past 3 years http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopher ... -for-2015/ and I have refined the snow algorithm for his http://zrankings.com website. Chris lives in Chicago but skis his favorite area Jackson about as much as I do Alta/Snowbird. He also lived in Park City for 4 years and skis at a brisk pace, probably closer to my son Adam’s speed than mine.

Chris and some friends had hiked Headwall, which I think would have been quite a challenge in the weather, but they found some lines near trees for decent vis. Meanwhile we took a tram after lunch and skied Tensleep, Cirque,and Gros Ventre. We got on one tram ahead of them and waited at the top in the Waffle House. Winds on top were quite strong but faded away once you got 100 feet down or so.

We agreed to ski the left edge of Rendezvous Bowl for tree reference in the cloud, then regroup at the Why Not gate. Liz and I went along with Chris and friends Matt and Riley, skiing some spaced trees, then a high traverse to the open line of Why Not that I had missed Friday. Liz took a pic of Riley and me in front of the massive rock that defines the lower skier’s right edge of Why Not.
IMGP2609.JPG

With the less than ideal weather I took few pictures and none were fit for publication.

By the time we emerged onto South Hoback it was 3:30 so we all called it a day. For apres ski Liz was eager to check out the blood orange margarita and 307 venison fries at Spurs, recommended by her Wednesday ski instructor. Then we met Chris and Riley at the Mangy Moose for one more round before leaving Jackson after 4 great days of skiing.

Back