Kirkwood, CA 3/10/2015

tseeb

I arrived South Lake Tahoe at 2:15 AM, 10 hours after leaving Snowbird. I've had much worse drives (but not solo like this one) across NV than this one which included a 30 minute fast food/gas/Starbucks stop in Elko and about an hour nap at rest stop near Button Point, before Winnemucca, the furthest north I-80 goes crossing NV. After a stop at Safeway to get breakfast and lunch, I arrived Kirkwood and was on Cornice lift at 9:30 AM. Conditions on Sentinel and Zachary, their two winch-cat groomed runs were excellent in most places, but there were a couple of spots, especially on Sentinel where you had to watch the overlap between groomer passes as they were not perfectly smooth.

After skiing down Sentinel to Timber Creek and riding that lift up, I went into Tuning shop and after being assured damage done at Big Sky and in UT and elsewhere before this trip would be done in and hour and a half, left them for free tune I received at Kirkwood movie event. I walked out to the car to get my Super 7s out for the first time since powder day at Targhee a week ago. I went up Cornice and skied both Zachary and Sentinel to get used to how wider (117 vs 99 underfoot) worked on groomers.

I then went up Wall chair, where liftie warned me about firm conditions before loading. At top I noticed that the only other person riding chair shortly before 11 was a ski patroller. It was a little scary for first turn or two, then very good. The other ungroomed I skied was Eagle Bowl, where you wanted snow to be in sun, then a little on Sunrise chair, plus one of the Man Chutes, next to Thunder Saddle to return from Sunrise. There were more rocks showing on N-sides of runs and gullies on Sunrise (Kirkwood's E-facing Backside) as they are S-facing. The N-facing chutes off Thunder Saddle also had narrower than usual chokes. I returned Super 7s to the car, picked up tuned skis and did another lap on each of Sentinel and Zachary. Groomers were still very good with the light traffic. I quit at 12:30 with almost 15K as I wanted to get home without getting stuck in traffic returning to San Jose.

It sounds like Kirkwood got a little this morning as they are on only Lake Tahoe road with chain control (R-1). "CHAINS OR SNOW TIRES ARE REQUIRED FROM SILVER LAKE (AMADOR CO) TO 5 MI WEST OF PICKETTS JCT (ALPINE CO)". I could have stayed another day, but my wife let me get away for 22 day trip and I did not want to push it for prediction of a wet 5" or less. My streak of skiing every day that began with Mustang Powder Cats ended at 18 and included skiing in BC, AB, MT (and a very little ID at Lost Trail), WY, UT and CA.

Not a lot of snow on S-facing, but almost 10K' Pyramid Peak, on left of first picture or in a lot of Kirkwood's valley

Attachments

• 0908SnowlessPP.JPG
    0908SnowlessPP.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 4,918
  • 0910KWWall.JPG
    0910KWWall.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 4,927
  • 0918RockySunrise.JPG
    0918RockySunrise.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 4,924
  • 0928KWChute.JPG
    0928KWChute.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 4,926
  • 0930KWParking.JPG
    0930KWParking.JPG
    367.4 KB · Views: 4,922
That's crazy tseeb, skiing Snowbird then driving most of the night to ski Kirkwood the next day.
Kirkwood probably got quite warm with sticky snow after you left at 12:30pm Sugar Bowl certainly did that afternoon.

We did it a bit differently - Skied Snowbird Fri &Alta Saturday (missed you & Tony) then drove home near Tahoe Sunday
from SLC. Tuesday we skied Sugar Bowl. Tomorrow Squaw. Being retired we're not in a rush, LOL

Wes good seeing you at Jackson Hole. \:D/
(This btw is my first post here !! though I've watched news here since Marc G ran the site from NY, & VT 15 years ago)

Heck of a road trip,thanks for all pics and reports,Panorama to Lost Trail was good strategery for avoiding hwy 93 low elevation ski areas.

mdskier":2hv0f0k0 said:
That's crazy tseeb, skiing Snowbird then driving most of the night to ski Kirkwood the next day.
Kirkwood probably got quite warm with sticky snow after you left at 12:30pm Sugar Bowl certainly did that afternoon.

We did it a bit differently - Skied Snowbird Fri &Alta Saturday (missed you & Tony) then drove home near Tahoe Sunday
from SLC. Tuesday we skied Sugar Bowl. Tomorrow Squaw. Being retired we're not in a rush, LOL

Was good seeing you at Jackson Hole. \:D/
(This btw is my first post here !! though I've watched news here since Marc G ran the site from NY, & VT 15 years ago)

Welcome to FirstTracks mdskier. I did not drive most of the night. I was in bed at my family's cabin in So. Tahoe for 5 hours and took an hour plus nap on road when I got tired. I'm not sure that Kirkwood got sticky. It stayed pretty good until I left, due to increasing cloud cover during day and probably higher altitude and very light traffic helped.

I skied both Solitude and Brighton on Saturday, then started at very busy Alta on Sunday, moved to Snowbird for lunch on the plaza, then finished at Alta. Monday was all Snowbird and I skied over 30K vertical before my almost 600 mile drive.

lono":1tmbdde3 said:
Heck of a road trip,thanks for all pics and reports,Panorama to Lost Trail was good strategery for avoiding hwy 93 low elevation ski areas.
Panorama and Lost Trail probably had the best lift served snow conditions of the areas we both skied on tseeb's road trip. No question the day tseeb had at Targhee was on a completely different level though.

Back