Mt. Bachelor Closing Date History

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Courtesy of this article: http://ski.curbed.com/archives/2015/05/ ... -early.php
file.php

The chart is easy to interpret. The Summit lift was completed in 1983 and Bachelor ran through at least the end of June 11 out of the next 17 seasons. Guess when Powdr Corp took over? :stir:

This year, however, has little to do with management. Bachelor's lower elevations have been plagued by the excess rain and the Pine Marten base is melting out. Bachelor's snowmaking is minimal so they can't build the manmade base Mammoth lays down on Broadway in the early season.

I say little instead of nothing because perhaps the Summit lift could run with Sunrise as an access lift. When I skied Bachelor in May 1990 Bachelor was operating out of the Sunrise rather than the Pine Marten base. Bachelor had less than 400 inches in 1985, 1986, 1988, 1993, 1995 and 1998 yet ran to end of June in all of those seasons. So I'm guessing some of the closing date skiing was just on Summit with Sunrise for access. And anyone who has skied Bachelor can tell you there's plenty of great spring skiing with only Summit for lift service.

I'll defer to Schubwa for any local knowledge of this history.

Back