Snow Summit, Dec. 30, 2015

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
I got in another day, this time with Garry, before picking up Liz at Orange County airport (cheapest short notice flight from NYC) Wednesday evening. There were many reminders of the unique nature of skiing between Christmas and New Year's.

Since I found out Dec. 24 that the lifts don't start spinning until 9AM, I was less in a hurry and that's exactly when we arrived. Mammoth has added insult to the injury of delaying lift opening by charging $20 for parking in the main lot at Snow Summit for 6 of the 7 rows of the lot. On a holiday like this you might have to get there at 7:30 for the one row of free parking, then cool your heels for over an hour before you start skiing. The alternative is the Brownie parking lot at the bottom of the hill with a cattle car shuttle to and from your car. I paid the $20 to avoid that aggravation, and of course in Garry's and my cases you can't say it's an expensive day because we're skiing there on our Mammoth season passes. However, for the typical younger, price sensitive daytrippers I believe the new pay parking policy is a colossal marketing blunder that will alienate a lot of people. Big Bear is not Vail, so it makes no sense IMHO to assume you have that clientele. The employees were all very apologetic, and actually encouraging people to complain to Mammoth.

The good news is that the world class snowmaking ~8-10 hours a day is continuing to improve surfaces and open more terrain despite the Christmas crush. Snow Summit is now 90+% open, including some runs Side Chute, East Why and Off Chute that I have not skied in several years as they are rarely open this early. We usually start with top to bottom cruisers before they get busy, but while we were skiing Miracle Mile the chair 2 high speed quad broke down, resulting in this line at chair 1.
IMG_2727.JPG

I timed that line at 13 minutes. An hour later it was 8 minutes and shortly after that Chair 2 was up and running.

In the meantime we skied chairs 6 and 10 (which terrain we prefer anyway) to get away from the crowds. Here's a skier carving the early morning manmade snow on the Wall.
IMG_2731a.jpg

Enough snow had been made plus the intense grooming that I would call it ~70% packed powder in the early morning. Later pictures will show that some of it didn't stay that way all day due to traffic.

Some of the chair 10 runs were used for local race training in the morning.
IMG_2734.JPG

We used that 8 minute line to get up to View Haus for lunch by 11:45. It took me 10 minutes to get lunch, but by the time we left at 12:30 the lunch line was 3x as long. We took advantage of lunch hour to ski the Westridge park and 3 runs on the sometimes popular chair 3. Under the lift was an interesting ice formation, perhaps from a snow gun that had been left on too long.
IMG_2740a.jpg

After 2PM we again moved over to chair 6, 7 and 10 for lower skier density than busy places like Summit Run.
IMG_2756a.jpg

Needless to say we didn't go near this on Dec. 30.

In the afternoon the Wall had much evidence of Christmas Week amateur hour. If you wonder why snow gets a little firmer in the afternoons, here's the Southern California Heelslide® in action.
IMG_2745a.jpg

IMG_2751a.jpg

But here's the Warren Miller Award winner of the day.
IMG_2741a.jpg

This boarder was overmatched by the Wall and so took his board off and slid down the hill face first, using it like a boogie board.

But overall chair 6 had good skiing with low density.
IMG_2746.JPG

Off Chute, Olympic and Wall, left to right.

We took two more runs on Chair 10 before it closed at 3PM. Garry was recovering from an illness and called it a day while I took two more top to bottom runs on Westridge and Log Chute/Side Chute.

I finished at 3:30 with 19,100 vertical. We drove down the Hwy 38 Redlands route and got to Garry's in Rancho Cucamonga in a bit over 2 hours. We heard that on Sunday it took 4 hours to get down the front road Hwy 330.

Tony, I gotta hand it to you...........you can turn a bleak , rather mundane situation into a pretty entertaining TR. =D>
Enjoyed the Warren Miller award...........

Every time I see one of these TR's, I think fondly back to the days when SoCal received natural snow.......

Based on some of the lift line pics, it looks like BBMR probably is doing OK........as for the owners of Waterman and Baldy.....what a different story......

Very nice TR, TC. The Ch. 6 runs don't look like the steep monsters that they are in that photo. 8)

I took my kids to Summit on the 19th and was pleasantly surprised by the conditions. And it was last Christmas shopping weekend, so parking lot was less than half full when we arrived at 8 sharp. This classic SoCal daytripper hadn't heard about the parking fee. That stinks.

For the record, JoJo, Summit's received a reported 39" at Main Lodge (was it called that before Mammoth?). Not all that bad for Big Bear before Jan. 1. Mountain High, OTOH, lists 6" for base snowfall.

SoCal Rider":18ijzy0b said:
I took my kids to Summit on the 19th and was pleasantly surprised by the conditions. And it was last Christmas shopping weekend, so parking lot was less than half full when we arrived at 8 sharp. This classic SoCal daytripper hadn't heard about the parking fee. That stinks.
The policy was allegedly implemented Dec. 19, but I saw no evidence of it on the 24th. I have initiated an e-mail discussion with Mammoth management on the subject.

SoCal Rider":18ijzy0b said:
Summit's received a reported 39" at Main Lodge (was it called that before Mammoth?). Not all that bad for Big Bear before Jan. 1. Mountain High, OTOH, lists 6" for base snowfall.
A very unusual relationship, mostly due to an "inside slider" storm over Thanksgiving. Long term Big Bear gets ~2/3 as much snow as Mountain High and half as much as Baldy. But there are exceptions, most notably 2011-12 which had several of those inside sliders.

Oh, and I agree now with Tom Moriarty that Mountain High must really be in trouble with its well water this season. They are still sitting at 26% of West and 0% of East open despite well over a week of very cold night time temps. That weather, as demonstrated above, has resulted in notably improved surfaces and expansion of open terrain at Snow Summit.

jojo_obrien":18ijzy0b said:
I think fondly back to the days when SoCal received natural snow.......
Yes, we're still waiting for our $338 bet on El Nino at Baldy to pay off. Maybe by the time we get back from Japan Jan. 21.

Your $20 parking at SS got me Onze buddy pass lift ticket until 11pm and a full dinner.

I also placed $40 bet on Baldy for 4 tickets at SkiDazzle.

Tony Crocker":2suj5qf3 said:
Oh, and I agree now with Tom Moriarty that Mountain High must really be in trouble with its well water this season. They are still sitting at 26% of West and 0% of East open despite well over a week of very cold night time temps.

Mountain High just announced that they'll open East this Friday, which they point out is the first time in nearly 3 years (Feb. 24, 2013).

Admin":1jgv02zt said:
Mountain High just announced that they'll open East this Friday, which they point out is the first time in nearly 3 years (Feb. 24, 2013).
That's because of the 2-4 feet of natural snow expected this week. The preliminary storm Sunday/Monday was a bust but it's pouring hard here today. Mt. Baldy also expects to be open "late this week." No surprise we're leaving town for 2 weeks Wednesday night, but I still think Japan will be better. :lol:

Nonetheless I'm now moderately confident the Baldy pass will be put to good use after we return Jan. 21.

I've been preaching for awhile that Mountain High is out of water. Wells are dry.

Admin":112swfqe said:

That's odd. Mountain High announced on Wednesday morning that the North resort would open and didn't officially announce the opening of East until Thursday.

The marketing communication coming from this area is a mess.

Mt Baldy opened last week with Chairs 1, 2 and 3. They never got 4 opened although they announced it. Base reported at 10-14"

Mt Waterman is supposed to open this Sat-Mon with "solid 3 feet heavy wet snow." They are allowing "vouchers, tickets, coupons purchased from 2010/ 2011 season on" to be used.

Maybe there really is a Crocker curse as he leaves the country and the ski area within 40 miles of the city where he lives opens for the first time in 6 years.

tseeb":10wqdfqd said:
Mt Baldy opened last week with Chairs 1, 2 and 3. They never got 4 opened although they announced it. Base reported at 10-14"
Garry got the opening day and was pleased. Nonetheless 10-14" is really low tide for a rugged mountain like Baldy. I don't think we're missing all that much.... yet.

Mt. Waterman was open intermittently in 2010-11. 2009-10 was the last strong season in SoCal but Waterman was closed due to mudslides blocking the road after the Station Fire. jojo-obrien should recall 2009-10 well due to an impressive Baldy day in late February. viewtopic.php?t=8731

egieszl":2krw2c3f said:
I've been preaching for awhile that Mountain High is out of water. Wells are dry.

Admin":2krw2c3f said:

That's odd. Mountain High announced on Wednesday morning that the North resort would open and didn't officially announce the opening of East until Thursday.

The marketing communication coming from this area is a mess.

Partly for the novelty of it but mostly because of my having three young, mostly green skiers, I drove to the North resort on Sunday. Just as we were receiving our tickets, a ski patroller came up to the ticket window to say that the lift was not working, that there was much prep to do before they could open. So we left and parked at East. As we were departing, when told the website said North would be open, an employee in the parking lot laughed and told me that you can't believe the website. Classic Mountain High. West was ridiculously swamped. We spent most of our day skiing the low level runs at the top of East.

Are you serious the North Resort was not ready at opening on Sunday? It apparently operated on Friday and Saturday. I've never skied the North resort or Ski Sunrise. I've always wanted to, but with ops limited to Saturday-Sunday it will probably never happen. I'd rather never ski another day in my life than attempt to visit Mountain High on a weekend.

Mountain High seems to be back to its same lame self. The marketing and resort image is better than the 80s, but the honesty in the communication is once again questionable.

Reading Yelp reviews and others online the entire place seems like a real "shit show".

What I can't believe is that the West resort's facilities are still basically a bunch of dressed up portables and after 30+ years they still don't have any real bathrooms. It's a real shame that the forest service did not approve the new base lodge that the private equity group had proposed to build. The lodge was going to be built where the old cabins reside on the west side of the hill between the Bullwheel and the portable crapper building. It would've been a first-class facility for Southern California. They were also going to move the base of Chairs 1 and 2 uphill slightly, and this would add more space to the base area and parking would've replaced some of the space as well.

However, even though I'm negative on Mountain High I sort of feel sorry for the owners. It's not a business I would want to own considering the water situation.

Thinking about Mt. High and the lack of snowmaking, I was looking at the CNL Lifestyle website and financial reports are on it. They are losing big money on their ski resorts and the drought and especially Mt. High have been a big reason. My thought is it is them pulling the plug on snowmaking due to expense and maybe Karl has his hands tied. CNL is supposedly selling the resorts as they need cash and hopefully something good happens.

I doubt there's any connection. CNL is merely a holding company. They lease the resort back to the ski area operator to run the place as they see fit. CNL then collects a lease payment based on revenues.

And yes, they are still trying to unload their portfolio of ski areas.

The end may be near for Mt. High.
http://www.mthigh.com/site/trails-and-conditions/conditions/snow-and-weather-report/@@snow-and-weather-report":2yinn860 said:
We are currently operating on a day to day basis so be sure to check this snow report prior to heading up.
They report 8 trails open, that's 26% of West. Mt. High closed March 6 last year, March 5 in 2014 and "before the end of March" in 2013.

Garry was at Snow Summit Wednesday. It's in full operation and Garry thought skiing was very good once it softened about 10:30 or so. He also said it was very quiet so the excellent grooming probably allowed many runs to corn up nicely. Weekends with more skier traffic may not be as good.

Back