TSV 1/28

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in the western US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

TSV 1/28

Postby jojo_obrien » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:10 pm

It's been fairly dry the last few days -- hasn't snowed in 3.......

LA to ABQ Wed night........3 hr drive to Taos.......... lodging in Arroyo Seco....

Got to the slopes at 9 am......about 20 degrees out in the morning -- the high today hit 40 degrees at midmountain.

This was my first day using the MC pass and first day ever. Although I won't be knee, thigh, or waist deep in pow on this trip, I've gotten a glance as to what this place is all about.

I can only think of one thing...the terrain is like Mt. Baldy on steroids.

Lots of chutes and steeps and a LOT of pine trees. Just completely reminds me of MB.

Skied mostly groomers today....with the exception of a Highline Ridge hike to start the day and a few Kachina Peak runs later on.

Surface was machine groomed packed pow that has warmed up a bit the last few days. Might have a touch of the freeze to it but nonetheless, fairly rippable. Not really a place for groomers by any means here.....but the sun sure did feel good (would you go to Baldy 4 days after a storm?)

Was fun to ride the Kachina Lift -- some incredible terrain. All bumped out.....but I can only imagine how sick some of these lines must be after a 1-2 ft dump.

I can definitely see the allure to this place -- all of the lifts are SLOW.....everything is quaint....some great facilities (including the Bavarian restaurant)........all of the bars are very cool (yes....they are far cooler than any bar I can think of in SLC (minus the Powder Keg).........

Tomorrow should be more of the same -- sunscreen and moguls. The Taos Wine Festival starts tomorrow and I aspire to drink mucho vino apres ski.

Peace, love, and green chile.
Attachments
taos 1.jpg
view from kachina
taos 2.jpg
bighorn sheep
taos 3.jpg
got bumps?
taos 4.jpg
kachina lift
taos 5.jpg
hike to ascess