Winter Park, CO 1-30-16

EMSC

Frustratingly decent day.

Trying to mix things up a bit by at least occasionally going up into the central Mtns. But it's just so frustratingly decent. What the heck does that mean? Well if you have a young one and aren't going to wake them up at 5am, the drive is a PITA. An extra hour due to combination of going from 3 lanes to two on I70 plus the Rte 6 merge onto I70. Then the crowds and lift lines at the major resorts... To top it off the ridiculously poor layout of Winter Park and very unreliable lift(s).

Despite being breezy up top and the snow being super soft and buttery. It was quite warm, probably low to mid 30's at the base even at 10am when we got on the first lift. Parked on MJ side in the semi-remote Corona lot. Skiing down Sunnyside terrain to Panorama lift for Jr's first ever time above treeline in Parsenn bowl. Got lucky on timing as a squall with graupel moved in just after that run and eventually wind shut that and Eagle Wind lifts by early afternoon.

We tried to go back over to the Pioneer lift at the opposite end of the resort since Jr had loved that terrain last time we skied WP. We go there just in time for the worlds longest lift line at a broken lift (same one they almost had to evacuate last time we were there). Not that the lift lines at any of the lifts had been anything other than very long anyway. At one point they apparently told the fron of the lift line that it was shut and they had to hike out. A huge pile of people started hiking out of there (that lift is the lowest point in a small drainage not connected tot he rest of the resort). Only about 3-4 minutes later to start the lift up and start letting people back on. I can't imagine how pi$$ed some them must have been waiting for a broken lift then hiking only to have them start the lift and let other people on just after you got partway up the mountain. Ridiculous. Never seen anything like it.

We took a few more runs but despite the awesome and fun soft snow we left ~2p because we were tired of the crowds and had skied 4 hours continuous at that point anyway (only a couple of recent inches so not sure why it was so nice).

Anyway Jr was skiing faster and at least the actual skiing was nice. Probably try out Copper next time we decide to head to the central mtns (maybe next Sunday on Super Bowl Sunday? Hoping I70 won't be a PITA).

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

SoCal Rider":25r27hqc said:
Looks like your son goes sans poles?

Basically Correct. He actually holds one pole in front like he is doing a ski lesson drill (because he is without knowing it) which keeps his hands and upper body where I want him to get used to. He's at ~95% percentile for height so looks like he should be skiing with poles by now, but just turned 6. So he alternates being interested in poles or not. I'm hoping to get him using poles near the end of the season this year in anticipation of possible one day a week Jr Race program next year.

It had not occurred to me that Winter Park was an area with lift maintenance problems. On April 24 & 26 Eagle Wind and Pioneer were closed, but I assumed that was due to the usual ski area mentality of closing lifts in late season when business is less. Pioneer is a high speed quad. Why is it a problem lift now?

socal":33bdfq7y said:
Yes, I thought it was easier to give them poles around age 5 just so they could move on the flats without needing to be towed. I realize pole planting skills may not come until later, end of age 6 season in Adam's case.

EMSC":33bdfq7y said:
(maybe next Sunday on Super Bowl Sunday? Hoping I70 won't be a PITA)
With Broncos IN the Super Bowl, this looks like slam-dunk call to me!

EMSC":3rf5lsy9 said:
SoCal Rider":3rf5lsy9 said:

Basically Correct. He actually holds one pole in front like he is doing a ski lesson drill (because he is without knowing it) which keeps his hands and upper body where I want him to get used to. He's at ~95% percentile for height so looks like he should be skiing with poles by now, but just turned 6. So he alternates being interested in poles or not. I'm hoping to get him using poles near the end of the season this year in anticipation of possible one day a week Jr Race program next year.

Just curious. My boys are 9 (+ 8 mo.), around 4' 5," so not in 95% percentile, heh. They started skiing this season and went without poles until Day 4. I tried to get them poles on Day 3, but the ski area, Mountain High, said it didn't have poles for kids their size, adding that it was discouraged before age 12. But my daughter, who is 11 and 4' 11," got them. (She first used poles at a young 8.)

SoCal Rider":18gc73dv said:
but the ski area, Mountain High, said it didn't have poles for kids their size, adding that it was discouraged before age 12.

That is quite bizarre and also untrue. Skiing with poles is a requirement for the Jr Race development teams out here who start taking kids into development programs at 7. I can see skipping poles the first few days for never-evers till older ages, etc... but not for regular skiers.

Tony Crocker":18gc73dv said:
Pioneer is a high speed quad. Why is it a problem lift now?
No idea, but I heard (can't verify of course) that that lift has been breaking down for 15-20 minutes at a time very regularly this season (something like daily for the most part). Assuming true, that's a pretty atrocious record for a HSQ at a major resort.

EMSC":t9vz1eh1 said:
Tony Crocker":t9vz1eh1 said:
Pioneer is a high speed quad. Why is it a problem lift now?
No idea, but I heard (can't verify of course) that that lift has been breaking down for 15-20 minutes at a time very regularly this season (something like daily for the most part). Assuming true, that's a pretty atrocious record for a HSQ at a major resort.
Let's talk about the first season of the then new Collins lift at Alta, with the 30 degree angle station and the finicky tower sheave sensors.

Back