Mt Ashland 2/01/16

onyourleft

Mt Ashland has been reaping the benefits of El Nino too.
The atmospheric river aimed at Cali has swung north quite a few times so far this winter.
Today the top was reporting 116"
No crowds today, probably under a hundred people on the mountain total.

Here's pictures from today:
The Bowl

Upper Balcony:

And big ol' Shasta looking fat off there in the distance:

Are those pics from lift accessible terrain? Looks like an interesting place to check out sometime. One of the last 2 years Mt. Ashland never opened, so nice to see it making up the deficit this season.

Tony Crocker":31m6mpy8 said:
Are those pics from lift accessible terrain?

Most definitely!
It's a smallish area but the top chair, Ariel, accesses everything steep in the photos.
(Except Shasta...)

Great to see something different on here. One place I've always wanted to visit along with Shasta but never quite got close enough during a good year.

I went to the ski area on Shasta in 1987 on way from SF Bay Area to Bachelor when they had good coverage especially considering low elevation and amount of non-N-facing. I also spent a night in Ashland after skiing Hoodoo on the way back from another Bachelor trip in 1983 on a day it was so windy they would not let you ride lift to the top. We planned to ski Ashland, but it was blowing hard enough in town, and it was a long drive from Hoodoo to Ashland and we had another drive to get home, that we skipped it.

I have another chance this year on 2/29 when I could make it there on return from BC and WA. It may be less than a full day as I could be spending previous night with relative in Vancouver, WA after skiing Crystal on 2/28.

I was thinking tseeb should add a day on the end of the upcoming road trip to check out Ashland. I'd do that after seeing these pics if I had his itinerary. The new area lower on Shasta is not really worth much from all I've read about it.

Here's a few more from yesterday to whet your appetite:

Notice the old center-pole Riblet chair. Mt Ashland needs a few big seasons to increase their revenue stream for some lift upgrades.

Visible down below is the cool old lodge and the nearly-empty parking lot:

Pure, steep fun!

I'd be a little concerned what with that giant ping-pong ball poised above you the entire day!

I interviewed for Food & Beverage Manager there quite a few years ago. Looking at these pictures I wish I had got it. They flew me in, put me up in hotel for weekend and took care of me. Thought the job was mine with the treatment, but lost out. Oh Well!

Back