Copper, CO 2-7-16

EMSC

Chilly but good ski day.

Always helped out by the fact that the hometown team wins the super bowl later that night.

As expected the home team in the super bowl meant no traffic jams in either direction on I70 Sunday. We weren't even all that early of birds hitting the road ~8:15 and arriving after a couple of stops (coffee,breakfast, fuel) by ~10:15ish. We went up Super B then all the way down to the main village, up the west side on Flyer and lapping Timberline. Snow was a bit scratchy coming down the first run, but great over on low angle Timberline. There were lift lines in the morning, but they moved smoothly with lifts almost never stopping unlike last week at WP.

Weather was interesting with a cool front having just enough moisture to keep things cloudy al but the end of the day and with breezy winds on the upper portions of the mountain. Not cold exactly but somewhat crisp all day. We did 5 laps before heading back down to the main base for a late lunch. Then headed right back up Flyer for another 4 or 5 laps on Timberline which by then had hardly any line to no line the last couple of laps. Jr loved that lift. Pretty much perfect mix of a couple of rolls with pitch to force him to practice, but then getting flatter allowing him to practice picking up speed and going fast. He was skiing fast enough today I would wait, ski down just past him and only stop that one time before going all the way to the bottom of the lift. And that was doing all carved turns at speed for me.

We skied till Timberline shut, catching a late last chair loading ~3:36 (supposed 3:30 close time on that lift). By the time we made it back to the car and got underway we turned the radio on just in time to catch the Bronco's first field goal and made it home half way through half time of the big game. I counted us somewhere around 16K+ verts which is by far the most Jr has ever skied.

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Back