Mammoth, CA, Feb. 9-11, 2016

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Last year we came to Mammoth in February and by coincidence found the WWRSA demo event viewtopic.php?t=11720 . Liz loved it, so this year we planned a Mammoth trip accordingly: https://www.wwsra.com/show-schedule/show-schedule.html .

With the far deeper snowpack we came for 3 days this time. Tuesday was the day before the demo, so we could check out conditions. The last storm dumped almost 4 feet and the end of January. Garry Klassen was here just after that but reported variable conditions, with softest snow near chairs 22 and 23 but some of the other upper runs packed very hard by the wind.

It’s now been 10+ days since the storm, first time this season the Sierra has gone a week without new snow. It’s also quite warm hitting upper 40’s Tuesday with clear skies and almost no wind. Fortunately it’s still February so only about ¼ of the mountain is melt/freezing much. Some areas like chair 5 were more mogulled than usual due to the traffic of the past 10 days.

Liz had a slow start setting up Mountain Collective so I took a few warm up runs on chairs 2 and 3. View of the upper mountain from Hangman’s to Drop Out with wide groomed Cornice in between.
IMG_3389.JPG

Liz and I regrouped to ski a couple of runs on chair 5, and then moved to chair 22. First we skied Grizzly.
IMG_3393.JPG

Liz did an encore while I skied Avy 1. It was now past 11 so we figured the south facing groomers would be in corn mode and thus cruised Back for More. Up 22 again I skied Avy 2 on the way to lunch at the Mill. We had lunch with Sierra Lady and Patrick from the slowly decaying Mammoth Forum. Mammoth Forum is no longer linked to the ski area website and is also closed to new entrants. Nonetheless enough locals and regulars still post to provide useful info periodically.

Patrick had formerly lived in SoCal, is now in St. Louis and was visiting with his friend Mike. Both are ski instructors at their local hill Hidden Valley. Liz and I skied with them after lunch. We went up to chair 23 and first skied Drop Out 3. Liz repeated that while we skied the Wipe Outs. Patrick and Mike are skiing below them here.
IMG_3394.JPG

Then we headed off the back to 14. Some of the open terrain up high had softened, and when it got cruddy we traversed back to the wide open groomer. With the now deep 9-14 foot base there is more extensive grooming in 14 than I’ve seen for quite a while. While riding 14 we noticed that Dos Passos was navigable. I’ve only skied it 4-5 times so I suggested the others should take the opportunity. Liz and Patrick in the rocky middle section.
IMG_3397.JPG

Due to wind exposure this section is often not passable even in some big years, but is worth doing when available for the open sections above and below.

Next time up 14 we climbed to the top of Monument/Scotty’s. Monument had the sofest snow of the day.
IMG_3405.JPG

IMG_3410.JPG

We skied to Main Lodge and took the gondola up. I had to check out Hangman’s for the first time in 3 years. It was smooth but extremely steep near the choke to I had to sideslip past that. The others went down Cornice and traversed over to meet me. Patrick skiing here with view up to Hangman’s at left and Varmint’s Nest upper right.
IMG_3412.JPG

Varmint’s Nest fills in enough to be skiable maybe once a decade.

We made it to McCoy Station in time for last gondola. Despite the clear day, light was somewhat flat by the time we got to Dave’s Run at 3:30. Snow was good but I skied deliberately because I could only see clearly about 2 turns ahead. Patrick was not so lucky. He yard-saled and slid about 500 feet.
IMG_3413.JPG

He attempted to self arrest but his aluminum pole was not up to the task.

Patrick was not injured but skied to the Mill and called it a day, as did Liz with her feet needing a break. Mike and I skied over to Main lodge via Andy’s Double Gold in the late afternoon sun, then back to chair 2 parking.

I finished with 26,500 vertical.

Wednesday we got up to the chair 10 parking by 8:30 for the demo. Being early we registered quickly, but I guess Liz has been around me too long :lol: as she forgot her Mammoth lift ticket and had to go back to the hotel to get it. She then parked at chair 4 to get on the mountain easily and skied over to the demo at chair 2. It was still warm but a bit breezy in a few places, notably riding chair 2. Thin clouds formed starting about noon and it was mostly overcast by 2PM.

Meanwhile at 8:45AM with the ongoing dry spell I figured to be looking for good carving skis. I started with the 177cm Volkl RTM84. These indeed filled the bill as I skied Broadway, Face of 3, then up top to Climax, a few moguls in Christmas Bowl and finally a cruise down Coyote and Comeback Trail.

Liz arrived within minutes and we went to Kastle. Kastle had a small selection, and also does not make separate women’s skis. But they had the FX95 HP in a range of lengths, including a 165cm which Liz took. They had one MX89. This is a stiffer, narrower ski which I suspected fit the morning conditions better. That ski was a 172cm, but they assured me that it was the right length for me and probably way too long for Liz. So I took the MX and both of us were very pleased. The MX like the Volkl really held an edge through the tail and was ideal for morning groomers like our first run on Broadway. I sent Liz to Face of 3 while I skied Gravy Chute, bumped up with chalky snow, where the firm grip and short length made an ideal combination. We then took the gondola and skied Dave’s Run, much easier than Tuesday in the morning sun.
IMG_3417.JPG

Liz loved the FX95, so that says a lot about versatility in firm packed snow at that width underfoot.

New to the show this year was Black Crows. They are made in Chamonix and we have seen them In Utah and Japan, though this is the first season actively marketing in the US. Liz took the women’s Camox Birdie, 97mm underfoot and 165cm. Once again I went for a narrower, stiffer, more sidecut ski, the Orb 9.1 at 178cm. We skied Stump Alley, then went up Chair 23. I skied Drop Out 1 while Liz skied halfway down the Cornice befor moving into the ungroomed well below Drop Out 3. Liz’s skis were easy to turn but seemed to have an inconsistent grip on the groomers. St. Anton was a great carvable groomer for me but not so much for her. Liz requested an ungroomed route back to the base of 2, so we skied Rodger’s Ridge. This was nicely softened at noon by a morning of sun. Liz suspected the Birdie’s had a bad tune, and when we turned them in the rep inspected the skis and agreed.

Another new entry was Liberty, based in Colorado. Liz took the Envy 106 at 167cm and this time I took the counterpart men’s ski, Origin 106 at 182cm. We skied Stump Alley, then up 23. On the widest skis of the day we headed for Monument and Scotty’s, which had the softest snow.
IMG_3421a.jpg

That was where these skis were best. On groomers and firmer snow I’m generally less comfortable on this width, though on St. Anton I found that a slight upweighting motion smoothed out the turns. Part of this was the contrast from the 3 prior skis that were more designed to just tip on edge and carve aggressively.

Our final demos were from Armada, which was the only demo today that we had also done the previous year. I took the Invictus 99 at 179cm and Liz the TST-W (100mm) at 165. This had been Liz second favored ski in December 2012 to the Blizzard Samba she eventually bought in 2014. We skied Terry’s Run to the gondola. Up top the clouds made the light a bit flat already at 2:40. We skied Climax to China Bowl and through the ungroomed below to chair 3. Then I skied near the chair line while Liz skied the bumps in West Bowl.
IMG_3424.JPG

The Invictus 99 skied almost identically to my Bonafides. In both 2015 and 2016 we have found that Armada does an excellent job of making skis in the 100mm width range that handle groomers and firmer snow very well.

We got down at 3:15, too late for another demo. I took a couple runs while she shopped for goggles and some high tech socks. Then we both skied over to the car at chair 4. My total for the day was 24,100 vertical.

After demoing them at Ischgl three years ago, I've become a Kästle fan and use a LX82 as a daily driver and more recently got a pair of BMX98s. According to my local ski shop owner who sold them until this year, the cost differential scares off a lot of people from buying them new, but it's easy to find them for far less at the end of the season when resorts dump their demo stocks on ebay.

I assume you use the 82's most of the time at home and the 98's in the Alps given you powder track record there? As you may recall I got my Blizzard Bonafide 98's in Dec. 2012 in anticipation of the Arlberg + road trip in Jan. 2013.

Tony Crocker":23b3vw16 said:
I assume you use the 82's most of the time at home and the 98's in the Alps given you powder track record there?
I purchased the 98s last fall and have only gotten a handful of six-inch days this season in France and Utah, and I got along fine with the 82s. I'm hoping that the upcoming Alps trip will end my dry spell.

We arrived at the second day of the demo Thursday Feb. 11 and were on the hill by 8:50. It was slightly windier than Wednesday but still warming into the upper 40's. There were thin clouds but they never thickened, so snow softened more like on Tuesday.

For early morning I tried a pure carving ski, the Fischer Curv OTX, which is a slim 71cm underfoot at 171cm as it's a stiff ski with internal metal rods. This was no surprise an impressive ski for the morning firm pack, starting with groomed Stump Alley and Face of 3, which has a new fumarole this season.
IMG_3425.JPG

The we went up top and I skied Climax to Christmas Bowl to Coyote. Liz had the Fischer KOA 80mm at 159cm. This was not as stiff as mine so she noticed the short length a little bit. She took Cornice instead of Climax and wound up at Chair 1 for a couple of extra runs.

Next we tried Elan. I had the Amphibio XTA 80 at 176cm and Liz the Interra 80 and 158cm. We took these for the same 2 cruisers as the Fischers, then up top. Here we are at Mammoth's 18-foot high sign.
IMG_3427.JPG

View from top of Dave's run.
IMG_3428.JPG

We skied from there to Triangle, Dry Creek and Lower Dry Creek, lots of moguls in the latter 2 runs.
IMG_3434.JPG

The Interra was stiffer than than Liz' Fischers and so worked well in the shorter length. Glen Plake has been an Elan rep for over a decade and here at Elan's booth is giving Liz some mogul tips.
IMG_3435.JPG

Mea culpa for the photo. :oops: Glen had just come back from Big White in Canada, where tseeb and I will be skiing Wednesday.

By 11:30AM Liz was eager to try DPS. She first tried the Nina 99 at 168cm, the all carbon Pure model like my new Wailer 112's I used in Japan. I skied the Foundation 95 at 178cm, which are not carbon but still quite light weight with wood core. We took Gold Rush and skied off the back on Back for More in the corn, where to no surprise the skis rocked. Then we rode Chair 22 and skied Shaft, which was bumped up in firm chalk.
IMG_3438.JPG

The light weight of both skis made skiing in tight quarters less strenuous than usual. Yet the Foundation 95's also carved nicely on the Wall Street groomer return to the demo.

Liz took a boot break while I took out the Stockli Stormrider 95. This is a beefy ski and while the StormRider 88 was one of my favorites last year, this one was a bit more work even on the groomers. Of course some of the groomers were a bit less smooth by this time, nearly 1PM, but I did get to Ralphie's, which was still corduroy and the skis amde snappy turns there. Up top I ventured out to the Paranoids. The entries are still slightly sketchy, but P3 was smooth and steep top to bottom.
IMG_3442.JPG

Liz got another DPS, the extremely light weight touring Zelda at 168cm. The Zelda is 106mm underfoot and overall had similar performance as the other DPS skis, but for the day's conditions the previous skis with more sidecut were a bit more appropriate. I took the Fischer Ranger 98 at 180cm. After a warmup groomer on Powder Bowl/Ralphie's, I took 2 chair 23 runs to Wipe Out 2 and then to Monument, while Liz took an encore on Dave's Run. All of these runs had taken some wind deposition during the day and so skied softer than on previous runs on the trip. This Hulk action figure has been affixed to this rock near Wipe Out for nearly a year now.
IMG_3441.JPG

I may have been getting tired but the Rangers did not hold an edge on the groomers as well as the earlier skis of the day. At the end of the demo they might have needed a tune, though not nearly as much as the Black Crows ski Liz had Wednesday. On the upper mountain windsift the Rangers were fine.

I finished with 23,300 vertical. This particular demo event remains my favorite. The selection is huge and the varied terrain available from the Chair 2 base in a 45-minute circuit is probably unsurpassed anywhere.

Back