Sun Peaks, BC 2/24/2016

tseeb

After dropping Tony Crocker at airport in Kelowna at 5 AM, I returned to motel and showered and packed, then after picking up breakfast at A&W (they are all over the place here) drive-thru , I was on the road at 6:30 AM. I arrived Sun Peaks before 8:45 and used $26 ticket I had purchased using Liftopia with discounts I got on Black Friday. I had a short wait before loading 2,000+ vertical Sunburst Express covered chair that did not open until 9. I could have loaded nearby 1,500+ vertical Sundance Express that opens earlier (and closes later), but wanted a better warm-up run before joining 9:15 Mountain Host tour of advanced runs. I don't really remember what I skied, but it was groomed, in the sun and skied well.

The advanced tour went back up Sunburst and took a warm-up on Spillway, then went up slow-speed Elevation and Crystal chairs to ski a groomed double diamond Headwall run.
0934Headwall.JPG
From the map it looks like it was Green Door and it was groomed to get ready for upcoming speed skiing contest where I heard record speed is 174 kph. I was surprised how much colder in was at 6,000+ top with overcast compared to sunny 4,000' base an hour earlier. Tour took us out Sunnyside where I found a couple of powder turns, then next lap we went partway up Gil's Hike towards not running T-bar where there was some more untracked that skied well even though S-facing and new snow at least a couple of days old. Both times we got back to top of mountain riding the upper half of Burfield chair which has the longest chair spacing I have ever seen. I later timed it at 32 seconds which means a chair passes station every 16 seconds, much longer than usual. I also heard that getting on a mid-station on a powder day can take 20 minutes as they do not leave any open chairs at bottom, but did see and later experience having people fill partially occupied chairs at mid-station.

The tour continued into Upper Other Way where there was some untracked on edges and hosts showed us the return from Gil's area. Tour ended about noon. After a quick lunch, I did two laps into the Gil's area.
0935SnowGhosts.JPG
0938TopOfGils.JPG
0942T-Bar.JPG
0941Hike2Gils2nd.JPG
First, I did a boot pack to Inner Gil's, then next run I followed uphill traverse, then skated before hiking further out. Both runs had some good turns in a little untracked and a lot of soft snow, but open area ended too quickly into tight trees then I had a long runout run with a little very slight uphill to get back to The Other Way.

I took Sundance once, skiing black Peek-A-Book that had small bumps before going to Morrisey side. I took two runs there; Midlife Crisis and Still Smokin',
0943StillSmokin.JPG
which still had some corduroy at 2 pm as it required a very short push to get to top, then split and re-joined many times on way down. Next I skied Back In Time which was fairly flat at top before getting to a shady steeper pitch. At the bottom it crosses a creek on a flat bridge, then you have to remove skis to get to base of 22 minute 2900' vertical Burfield quad.
0944Stables.JPG
0946BurfieldAdBeer.JPG
Riding it, I had plenty of time for a beer, then put tracks in a short, steep place above chair that did not have any before twice skiing run that was groomed for speed skiing. I finished my day with a lap down Exhibition and Broadway, then another ride up Sunburst and a run down Munro Ridge. I wanted to get to black Tighten Your Boits, but turned off onto blue Runaway Lane as I did not want to go past sign that said Burfield was closed and end up below my vehicle.

I quit about 3:45 with just under 30K vertical. I followed DanoT's advice and got a $4.50 slice of pizza in the village which was a good idea since my drive to Lillooet was about 2.5 hours and all I could handle after two long days of lift-served skiing and a lot of driving and eight days in a row of skiing.

I'm hoping somebody else is going to write-up the following as it may be a long time before I can:
Thu 2/18 Powder day at Apex with 8 cm new on top of 18 cm from Tues. Another 8-10 cm fell during day and most of the locals were gone before noon so we skied a lot of untracked. Skied with flyover and John from Seattle who also joined us at Mustang.
Fri 2/19 Short day at Big White. Rode 2400' vertical Gem Lake 4 times and got two runs on Cliff
Sat 2/20 to Mon 2/22 at Mustang Powder Cats. Average snow for there = incredible powder skiing
Tues 2/23 Revelstoke with four runs into the alpine plus one non-stop 4700' vertical run for a quick,late lunch and a 5620' vertical run to end day.

Note: Nearly 20 months later I noticed I had more pictures that never were posted so I added them.

Back