Alta, UT 2/13, 14, 19, 20 & 21/2016

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Days 44-48: A little bit of everything.

I know that I've been lax in posting conditions reports over the past two weeks, which is sure to incur the wrath of Tony, Jamesdeluxe, etc. :lol: It's not that the skiing hasn't been fantastic; quite to the contrary, it's been absolutely wonderful, aside from the sudden absence of big powder days. It's also been filled with the presence of good friends who have been flocking into town in droves. It's just that -- and I'll freely admit it -- without deep powder to make for spectacular photos, I'm less enthused about posting these TRs. Add to that all of the time that I've been spending socializing après-ski with the aforementioned friends (even midweek), a nasty sinus infection that has invaded my life for the past nine days, maintaining a household by myself (Mrs. Admin is out of town for a few weeks), and just trying to get the day job done well... and I just haven't had the time or motivation to post.

IMG_0410a.JPG

IMG_0411a.JPG

IMG_0412a.JPG

20160214_152147-01.jpg

Skiing has been a little mix of everything. Although high pressure has been in control for much of February, we have been getting occasional snowfall throughout this period, with 13" falling 2/13-18, and another 6.5 inches on 2/22. Much of that has been dense and creamy, keeping you up off the sub-surface and delivering some damned fine skiing, especially as some wind events smoothed out even the biggest of bumps.

20160219_094000.jpg

In between, warm, sunny days have been a delight to ski in, and we've been following our spring ritual of following the sun around the mountain, catching things right as they soften to perfection. Especially noteworthy was last Sunday, 2/21, when West Rustler came into its prime at around 3:15, keeping me on the mountain until 4:45 after the lifts closed for the first time this season.

20160221_163011.jpg

We might pick up an inch or two tomorrow, and fingers are crossed for a slightly more significant storm Monday/Tuesday, but high pressure looks to continue to dominate for the next 10 days as the next wave of visitors rolls into town.

Back