Blackcomb heli skiing

kingslug

Finaly got to go heli skiing.The strong dollar got the price down to about 1000.00 US..so I went for it. They couldn't fly almost the whole week before but as luck would have it Tuesday was perfect. The guide said it was the best conditions in years. We opted for the 6 run which puts you in a Bell 407 copter..the small one
.really small..like a mini..with a blender on top. I was worried about keeping up with the other 3 in the group but since you have to wait 15 minutes to get picked up it doesn't matter..I kept up anyhow. The main parts of the runs aren't that steep, the transition through the trees is. I guess that's what makes the difference between the intermediate and expert groups. The snow was almost perfect..not blower like you get in Utah, but this..ain't Utah. You could just sail 2000 vertical at a clip making s turns anywhere you wanted..as long as you stayed away from the crevasses..which were not easy to see.
The heli..was the scary part. Because it's so small and the blades come down so low...it has to land pretty much right on top of you. The guide on one side..the group in a huddle 8 feet away..the heli drops in between...holy shit..you have to keep your eye on it the whole time
.with 100 mph snow blasting in your face..or.
It might land on you. I turned away for a second...the woman next to me says..move back a bit...it landed a foot away from me...oy...I work around loud machinery..this thing is loud...you pretty much crawl in and out of it..wildest thing I've ever done..Don't let anyone tell you cat skiing is the same..
We paid for an extra run...7 runs and I was cooked. The views..the conditions..best ever..hell eating lunch in the middle of it all was wild...
Highly...recommended...

191 resize.jpg

185 resize.jpg

187 resize.jpg

Back