Eldora, CO 3-6-16

EMSC

Luck of the draw.

Despite the hugely warm weather of recent weeks we decided to take a gamble on hitting Eldora on Sunday. Saturday had been warm enough for me to take a mtn bike ride and I figured with 70F expected in Denver area that we might be skiing spring slop. Important part of the set up was that Eldora had gotten 4" earlier in the week. When we arrived clouds from an incoming 'storm' (more like incoming squalls) started to appear which helped keep temps reasonable. Temps were warm, but not super warm. Probably in the 40's and ended up hovering there all day long.

So the snow was a mix of just ripe corn and even some wintry snow in shaded areas and a fair bit that was just turning from winter to soft 'first day of spring snow'. So we ended up with very nice conditions, things were not icy or even scrapey. 5 or so runs in the morning, with a quick break for a snack then another 5 before heading out around 3p. We actually got a light snow squall for about half the ski time, though nothing accumulated.

I had expected no one in the parking lot given the warm temps on the flatlands, but the home YSL (devo level) race was happening so there were quite a few cars. For the most part the ski slopes were pretty empty though since the racers were mostly too busy to ski much else.

Only took one cell pic all day.

20160306_140228.jpg

Back